Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 06-05-2022, 11:49 AM

Goran- no US distribution center, they ship from Europe.

The 260E is essentially the same as the 230E with a few internal differences, but with this engine, more HP brings a few issues. More later after I check my facts.

I can’t say THANK YOU enough to Tom for his help on this project. Having top quality hoses made-to-order quickly, was invaluable.

The aircraft was AOG in May waiting on some replacement hoses for the fuel system while someone was in the hospital. Now that that situation is successfully resolved I can return to flight testing some cooling adjustments. I’ll post an update later in June and will include the install weights.

2022 VAF Donation complete

Last edited by Flandy10 : 06-05-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:10 PM

Thanks for your response Scott.

I wish you success with you RV-10 and this engine.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:11 PM

Default Weight & Balance

Ok, time to answer the question of weight.

During the research phase of this project, I placed a call to Tule River Aerospace, who was doing the SMA C182 conversions. The before and after weight of the STC was +125lbs and ¾” C.G. change on one particular plane. Not the lightest conversion, but it’s a diesel, so I knew what I was in for. Since mine was never a flying IO540 powered plane, I didn’t have an accurate “before” weight. I figured that, based on other flying Rv-10s, I should have been in the 1700lbs+ EW, which, should have brought the conversion in at about 1850lbs EW.

Well, to my disappointment, it wasn’t. It was closer to 1915lbs. Why so much heavier? Well, I didn’t weigh everything as it went into the airframe and the FWF but I’ve had time to think about it and believe the following is correct: It is a “well primed” structure (don’t start a Primer War with me here), local grounds were not used, sound insulation (some of which has since been removed) in the “tub”, and I made my own cowling out of the original Van’s cowl (some would call it overbuilt and resin rich). Over the four years I had the TD300, mods were made to the cowling, fuel metering system, oil cooler, and the brakes were upgraded (heavier duty) due to the higher residual thrust. So, no it didn’t really get lighter during that time, but it hauled everything I needed and it was a work in progress.

Due to Covid, some engine development issues, and management changes, the CD-265 production was put on hold in 2020 and I returned the prototype to CMI (status is unknown as I haven't talked with them since then). At the same time, Safran sold the SMA engine line to the Roder Group in Germany, so I was able to finally get my “certified” engine. I spent 2021 dealing with Covid supply chain issues while converting to the SMA SR305-230E. I kept better weight records of the parts I used and also tried to find lighter ones along the way but could only do so much. The SR305-230-1 was published at 430lbs dry weight and the -230E is listed at 456lbs dry weight. The TD-300C+ (my prototype engine) was around 441lbs dry weight according to CMI. So, when I weighed the plane again, I wasn’t surprised that it gained weight- over 1950lbs EW. The FWF spreadsheet I created comparing the IO540 to the SR305 put the conversion at 140lbs different. Yes, it is heavy.

So, I have started a weight reduction program:
1- Remove 8.6lbs FF measurement system- Engine computer tells Garmin the FF.
2- Remove 15lbs SafeAir One aux tanks.
3- Remake cowing and ducts to be lighter by 15-20lbs.
4- Lighter weight brakes 5lbs.
5- Remove Concorde Main battery and backup battery system and replace
with EarthX -25lbs.
Total weight savings- 68 lbs. when it’s all done.

Currently flying at 1940lbs EW and 107.87 CG. Aiming for 1895Lbs EW and 107.54 CG.

For an additional data point, I am working with a company in Brazil to install this engine in the Rv-10 for their market. They did get an early CD-265 flying for a short time before 2020 issues stopped it. Their plane weighed in at 1898lbs EW painted with an A/C system and an identically equipped IO540 plane weighed 1778lbs. Converting to the SR305-230E will change the numbers but time will tell.

Last edited by Flandy10 : 06-28-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:47 PM

Really appreciate you publishing all this info. Prototypes and test airframes usually accumulate some "extras" along the way. I did a similar weight reduction program some years after the build taking out development bits and Pb batteries for a loss of 23 pounds.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 460.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 08-02-2022, 07:26 PM

Default Latest

Thank you to Doug and others for the OSH 22 updates.

Really wanted to have the plane there this year but….

While prepping the plane for the trip up, I found this…

There is no MEL relief for this problem... Immediate grounding! Fortunately, I found it at home.

So, its crated for transport to Deland for Overhaul and it leaves on Friday. 5 1/2 week minimum turnaround right now.

I can see the photos in my posting using MS Edge but not on an iOS device , so here they are as attachments too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8111.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	617.4 KB
ID:	28973  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8102.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	663.4 KB
ID:	28974  

Last edited by Flandy10 : 08-03-2022 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Photo links
Old 08-03-2022, 07:39 AM

Scott, as much as I was disappointed when you called about this, I'm REALLY glad that you caught it. I certainly didnt want to read about a good friend of mine that landed in a field without a prop in the middle of America, while on his way to Oshkosh.
Regroup, my friend, it will be ok.
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 08-03-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandy10 View Post
Thank you to Doug and others for the OSH 22 updates.

Really wanted to have the plane there this year but….

While prepping the plane for the trip up, I found this…

There is no MEL relief for this problem... Immediate grounding! Fortunately, I found it at home.

So, its crated for transport to Deland for Overhaul and it leaves on Friday. 5 1/2 week minimum turnaround right now.
Can't see the image - can you upload it with the paper clip?

( https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-G5f8Tp4-L.jpg)

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/