What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans CB8-31 =Lycoming 65614 Plug, Baffle Attaching?

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I need to acquire one of the round threaded plugs that go in each cylinder head, so an AN3 bolt can be used to secure the baffles. It is Lycoming part 65614, available for around $25, plus shipping from many places (Lycoming's list price is $24.57).

I'm wondering if Van sells a cheaper, non-Lycoming version of this part. My baffle plans are at the hangar, so I can't see if Van lists a part number for this part. Looking at "The List", I see a "CB8-31 ENGINE PLUG INSERT $8.00" in the baffle parts list. Is this the part I need?

Are these the barrel nut things on 235&290's? If so, I've made them from a small piece of square stock and tapped to suit. Gets it done.

Are these the barrel nut things on 235&290's? If so, I've made them from a small piece of square stock and tapped to suit. Gets it done.

These things are barrel nuts, about 5/16" diameter. I'll make a temporary substitute by drilling and threading the shank of a bolt for now, but want to eventually put in something less likely to corrode.

The factory ones are just mild steel rod , The last set I got were bare , not even cad plate .

Darn, I just bought one for $25

No one has actually answered Kevin about the Vans part, but it would have been nice to know two weeks ago. I bought one from Lycon.

Well, anyway, I made some measurements and put a drawing in my engine log book, so next time, I can make my own. Geez, $25 for a half-inch long piece of 5/16 rod with a tapped hole in it - that is off the charts even for airplane parts.

How to fix the insert

Is there a trick to make these inserts stay put while working on them?
Some loctite or high temp RTV just to hold them while you fit the baffles and bolts?
Once the AN3 bolt is in that will obviously keep it there, but otherwise you run out of hands?

Regards
Pieter

Back