Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-30-2022, 10:24 PM

Default G3X touch wiring

Hopefully the G3X expert can chime in on this :

I have seen these beautifully constructed Garmin connectors, done by professionals, with shield terminations exiting solder sleves and neatly looping back to the connector in color coded green wire. They look great, and I am sure they probably work great. But according to the G3X installation manual two wiring crimes have been committed.

On page 24-10 of the G3X touch installation manual it states that " the flat braid should go out the front of the termination toward the connector. It is not permitted to exit the rear of the termination and loop back to the connector."

In a note at the bottom of 24-10 it states" Flat braid as opposed to insulated wire is specified in order to allow continuing air worthiness by allowing for visual inspection of the conductor"

Also, why not just strip about 4" of insulation off, pull the wires though the shield , crimp a lug on it and call it good ?

I would sure hate to hear the inspector tell me to redo the harness.

As always thank you for your feed back.

Tom
Old 05-01-2022, 01:26 AM

GTN Xi TSO Series install manual. If its good enough for that then that's good enough for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 5.24.19 pm.png
Views:	158
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	25304
Sydney, AUS
Old 05-01-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propflipper View Post

I have seen these beautifully constructed Garmin connectors, done by professionals, with shield terminations exiting solder sleves and neatly looping back to the connector in color coded green wire. They look great, and I am sure they probably work great. But according to the G3X installation manual two wiring crimes have been committed.

On page 24-10 of the G3X touch installation manual it states that " the flat braid should go out the front of the termination toward the connector. It is not permitted to exit the rear of the termination and loop back to the connector."

In a note at the bottom of 24-10 it states" Flat braid as opposed to insulated wire is specified in order to allow continuing air worthiness by allowing for visual inspection of the conductor"

Also, why not just strip about 4" of insulation off, pull the wires though the shield , crimp a lug on it and call it good ?

Tom
There are an awful lot of planes flying with the solder sleeves you mention. They are not failing in earth shattering numbers, planes falling out of the sky fashion. Oh, another thing, I cannot imagine any inspector I have ever worked with decide to climb upside down underneath the panel to closely examine the connections to an instrument. if you have an inspector use a solder sleeve as a reason for not giving an airworthiness certificate, well. . . reread the previous sentence. Donít expect that to happen!
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 05-01-2022, 12:50 PM

Default Opinion

My opinion is that is written because they probably think mechanics need more instructions. I am an engineer, I can decide which is best. And I will show you the math why.

“Badges we dont need no stinking badges”

On a serious note, i try and avoid using uninsulated copper, and avoid copper braid because it has a habit of shedding copper strand. Not good around connectors and harnesses. In my day job, that design would get rejected. The industry standard allows copper strands to be broken in braid. A short insulated copper wire is preferred even thou it has slightly higher inductance. And yes I am being a nit pick, just my preference.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 90%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 05-03-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:06 AM

Default Shield Termination

Quote:

Tom
Good Morning,

This is our recommendation for the buildout of the connectors, keeping the shield termination as short as possible, and lessening the likelihood of mechanical issues that could be induced with looping the braid backwards towards the connector.

The note below this section provides a reference to FAA AC 43.13-1B Chapter 11, Section 8 (Wiring Installation Inspection Requirements). You can find a lot of very helpful information on the subject there as well.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Which version of the G3X Touch installation manual are you using? I see this language in Section 25, page 6, in revision AP of the G3X Touch installation manual (190-01115-01 Revision AP), but it appears to contradict the guidance in the GTN installation manual that Richard posted above. For reference, I have GTN 6xx/7xx installation manual 190-01007-A3, Revision 4. The diagram Richard noted is located on Page 3-18 of that manual.

Is there a good reason that Garmin appears to offer different advice in different equipment installation manuals? Or am I misunderstanding?

Last edited by 1001001 : 05-03-2022 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:33 AM

When building my shield drains, I relied heavily on Garmin's "Wiring Fundamentals Series" YouTube videos. In this series, the tech clearly runs the shield drain wire backwards and then loops it forward toward the connector.

Solder Sleeve Method

Solder Method
Donated 12/31/2021
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for airworthiness

Last edited by Draker : 05-03-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Tom
Tom,

This is also a perfectly good way to terminate the shield.

I have zero solder sleeves in my plane.

Steve
Old 05-03-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
When building my shield drains, I relied heavily on Garmin's "Wiring Fundamentals Series" YouTube videos. In this series, the tech clearly runs the shield drain wire backwards and then loops it forward toward the connector.

Solder Sleeve Method

Solder Method
If I’m not mistaken these videos are out of date in that they recommend now to fold the braid back over the jacket before using the solder sleeve or solder to install the drain wire. Something to do with less likely the heat will damage the insulation on the wires.
http://www.steinair.com/wp-content/u...STRUCTIONS.pdf

http://www.steinair.com/wp-content/u...ER-SLEEVES.pdf

http://www.steinair.com/wp-content/u...-practices.pdf

http://www.steinair.com/wp-content/u...G-BONDING-.pdf
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
Old 05-04-2022, 04:52 PM

It would seem to me that leaving all those shields braided it would get awfully crowded really fast, the audio panel would be way worse than these...

Steve, don't make me redo all this

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154