- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:45 AM

Default GMA 245R Bluetooth call privacy

I have reviewed the G3X pilotís manual. Garminís link to the GMA 245R audio panel operatorís manual on its site only shows the GMA non-remote model (no R in the model name) with physical buttons. So say I am taxiing along with a friend enjoying a tune from my Bluetooth linked cell phone over the GMA 245R remote audio panel. Then a call comes in and when I answer it is my banker with a wire transfer, or the IRS or my doctor with bad news. And maybe my passenger is napping or just no part of the conversation. You get the picture. How can I isolate the call so the passenger doesnít have to listen to it? Drill down into the G3X audio intercom menu and pilot isolate? Will this allow the pilot to continued the call on his own or will the phone call be isolated out along with everything else except radios? Is there a shortcut to get such call privacy without starting a menu circus? Non Bluetooth headsets in case anybody was going to suggest. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:50 AM

It probably works just like it would in your car... If it's playing over your car's stereo, all your passengers hear it. To make it private, pick up the phone and switch it to handset instead of bluetooth. In flight, less of an option... But you can probably wait until you're on the ground again to take a call.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:53 AM

I will say it. Calls should not be taken when piloting an aircraft. That feature is there so that you can make a call during engine warmup. It is bad enough that people in cars cause accidents while being distracted.

If you are taxing and you really need to take the call from the IRS, park safely, shut down the engine, take your phone off of Bluetooth, and conduct your business.
Victoria, TX
Old 03-21-2022, 08:00 AM

Default ICS Isolation Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I have reviewed the G3X pilotís manual. Garminís link to the GMA 245R audio panel operatorís manual on its site only shows the GMA non-remote model (no R in the model name) with physical buttons. So say I am taxiing along with a friend enjoying a tune from my Bluetooth linked cell phone over the GMA 245R remote audio panel. Then a call comes in and when I answer it is my banker with a wire transfer, or the IRS or my doctor with bad news. And maybe my passenger is napping or just no part of the conversation. You get the picture. How can I isolate the call so the passenger doesnít have to listen to it? Drill down into the G3X audio intercom menu and pilot isolate? Will this allow the pilot to continued the call on his own or will the phone call be isolated out along with everything else except radios? Is there a shortcut to get such call privacy without starting a menu circus? Non Bluetooth headsets in case anybody was going to suggest. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hey Jim,

If you set the ICS isolation mode to Pilot before or during a phone call, the telephone audio will only be audible in the pilot side headset. The audio panel databar field displays the current ICS isolation mode, alongside the active telephone status as shown here:

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:12 AM

Thanks, Justin. That is very helpful. I will pass it on.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219PB View Post
I will say it. Calls should not be taken when piloting an aircraft. That feature is there so that you can make a call during engine warmup. It is bad enough that people in cars cause accidents while being distracted.

If you are taxing and you really need to take the call from the IRS, park safely, shut down the engine, take your phone off of Bluetooth, and conduct your business.
Iím sure if you look at aircraft accident statistics, talking on a phone is not a distraction that causes problems. There is no difference between talking on a phone versus talking to a passenger.

I bet dropping something in the cockpit causes more issues than phone calls.
FlyingThe10 On Facebook
FlyingThe10 On Instagram