-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:58 AM

I just wonder how wires and audio jacks could become obsolete over time. These are not IC chip components that manufacturers typically use as an obsolescence-based upgrade path excuse.

I had a Bonanza come in with Zulu 2 headsets that had been sitting on the second row leather seats for about 6 months. The ear seals had a chemical reaction with the leather and were stuck down hard. Pulling on the headsets resulted in the earseal faux leather material ripping off the earseal staying stuck to the leather. It took a lot of cleaning and work to get the seats back in order but there are still some black marks left over from the ear seals. So while I like Lightspeed as a company perhaps they don't have as extensive materiel testing of the likes of DC, Telex or Bose.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I just wonder how wires and audio jacks could become obsolete over time. These are not IC chip components that manufacturers typically use as an obsolescence-based upgrade path excuse.
It's possible that the wires are attached to another component such as the control box in a "permanent" configuration, that requires the replacement of the whole box which may no longer be available due to upgrades. Just a thought.

-Marc
Plus extra donation for someone who didn't
Old 03-21-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
It's possible that the wires are attached to another component such as the control box in a "permanent" configuration, that requires the replacement of the whole box which may no longer be available due to upgrades. Just a thought.

-Marc
Great point. If it's only the wires and the control module is still serviceable despite being unavailable then the only option for the OP might be some fine desoldering/soldering or hire it out. At which point it is might not be feasible.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 5r4 View Post
I have Lightspeed Zulu as well. Twice I've returned them for service. First was like others experiences... new cords. The old ones had become sticky feeling. They were always hangared inside the plane. They said they had seen this in some of there others so no charge. Second time the left side quit working all together. Fixed and returned. This one I did pay for.
Can be wiped off with GOO GONE.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2021 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 03-21-2022, 12:02 PM

Default Old Lightspeeds

I had two Lightspeed headsets and parts of another that came with a dismantle/ sell project. One had broken stirrups attaching the earcups, two were sticky and gooey. Two worked and actually one was superb with good NR, great sound quality and volume, and it was very comfortable. The separate battery box was distorted from heat but did not seem to affect performance. The rep on the phone was very nice and wanted to help but Lightspeed would not touch any of them since their parts inventory was gone. I came away wondering what’s with that sticky gooey deal… cheap plastics? The broken stirrups were crummy plastic, too. Later Lightspeeds look much better and I might consider one if my much loved but high $ Bose ever dies.