What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion X on baffles

prkaye

Well Known Member
I originally painted my baffles with high temp paint. It did not hold up well over the years. When i removed the engine for repair recently, i stripped the paint off the baffles and cleaned them up. I think i will install them bare this time. I thought of putting Corrosion X HD on them, but I wonder if they'll be too hot for that to work well (and result in the Corrosion X dripping down on to the engine). The data sheet for Corrosion X says it boils at 400F. Is there any chance of my baffles getting that hot?

I don’t know but I would assume a product like this would off gas when warm.

I prime and then use a urethane top coat on the outside of the baffles. 20 years after first build and they look like the day I painted them.

Carl

Mine are bare, and I use products like XCP/Corrosion-X/ACF-50 on them from time to time, minimum each 50 hours. So far, I have not seen any corrosion. The protection doesn't seems to be bothered by the heat at all.

Rattle can

Huh I just used basic high temp rattle can stuff - easy to touch up and it's worked fine for me. Though admittedly I'm not that fussy about how they look. I did refresh once or twice over the years when I had the baffles off for other reasons.

Attachments

• rattle_cans.jpg
    rattle_cans.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 37
I wouldn't want something that resembles oil under the cowl. I have always had bare baffles, never a problem.

I just etched and iridited them. Left them in the iridite xtra long so they turned a pretty dark gold. 17 years later they still look great.

CorrosionX is awful to smell. I had the airframe of my C-152 CorrosionXed and that stuff not only stunk to high heaven, it seeped from the seams for years! I was always wiping the plane down to mop off the seepage and streaks after flying.

Back