What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buck meets RV7

Av8safe

Well Known Member
After about a year preparing and searching for my RV, it was finally time for the flight home. I had done everything the right way and taken no short cuts. Flew Vic in for the pre-buy and had my friend and experienced RV and test pilot Terry there to get me transitioned on the way home. First two legs were a dream...the RV grin in full display. And then the dream turned into a nightmare when a 7-8 point buck darted across the runway chasing a doe just after I had made my second three pointer with my new purchase. It was all a blur, and thankfully I was able to maintain directional control and get it stopped on the runway and shut down in seconds. It was after we quickly got out of the aircraft that we saw the extensive damage, including a massive hit to the left fuel tank. We were very fortunate as it could have been much worse. The plane is just a thing (and fully insured) but the most important thing is Terry and I are fine. Now I get to gain the experience of working with the insurance company and a host of others to see if we can get my 7 back in the sky with me grinning again.

So glad to read that you and Terry are OK!!!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get your plane back in the air faster (help you find somebody with a QB wing that can ship you their tank, etc). Standing by if you need anything...

v/r,dr

Wow...very sorry to see this. But glad it wasn't more serious and you're right, it's just a thing...what a kick in the nuts.

So glad you all are alright. I?m sure the plane can be rebuilt. Sorry that this happened to you.

That sure ain't gonna buff out... :eek:

What was the vibration like when the prop blade went?

And more to the point, what happened to the buck? Taste alright?

Thinking of renaming it ?The Buck Stops Here?

Answers to a few of your questions...

My first indication was a blur in my peripheral vision at about 11 O?clock, which was about the same time as the impact. There was a thud and a large yaw to the left. For my fellow heavy iron pilots it was like a very extreme V1 cut. It pulled left and I was able to get it back to centerline and stopped. My guess is we were doing about 45 - 50 knots when hit, as I was just getting the tail pinned.

The vibration was severe, but this aircraft has an Airflow Performance fuel injection system with a fuel diverter and I had it shut down very quickly. As for ?Bucky? the 100LL marinade rendered him useless and he was given a proper burial. I am still waiting on photos, because afterwards I was too busy with calls and paperwork to go look. That?s what happens when an aviation safety and accident investigator has an event!

Didn?t look any better in the morning

More photos...wouldn?t buff out and not enough duct tape either...

Deer

This airplane was based at my airport and what a beautiful airplane it was. I hope it can be restored to its former beauty. The former owner loved this RV and liked to fly it with his son. I?m very thankful no personal injury.

The unfairness of this turn of bad luck is heartbreaking....I can't imagine how it must feel to see your "new" RV damaged before it arrives home....

Very glad there were no injuries to the occupants. It will be interesting to see if the insurance carrier decides to repair this RV.

I am sorry for your loss. It got to be difficult to deal with. I think given the need for a engine tear down, new prop and airframe damage it might be considered totaled. I would push for that option with the insurance and then look at a buy back of the aircraft. It?s certainly repairable and since the engine was at idle a tear down will hopefully find no internal damage. A deer strike is one of my nightmares!
G

I am sorry for your loss. It got to be difficult to deal with. I think given the need for a engine tear down, new prop and airframe damage it might be considered totaled. I would push for that option with the insurance and then look at a buy back of the aircraft. It?s certainly repairable and since the engine was at idle a tear down will hopefully find no internal damage. A deer strike is one of my nightmares!
G

The carrythrough spar in the fuselage will likely tell the tale on that decision. Engine and prop are obvious, the firewall and first aft doubler will need attention, likely replace the engine mount too since the engine is coming off and with all the vibration. The left wing is the question, if it's just the fuel tank then it's not so bad, as long as the spar and carrythrough are still true.

Ouch!! I feel your pain! Just don't loose sight of your objective. It's worth it to have such a lovely lady you can take out on fun runs for the weekends.

Ouch!

Heart broken to see such a beautiful RV messed up like that.

Great job of getting it stopped in the right direction!

Hoping that it works out best for you the way you want.

Can only imagine the sick feeling you must have down deep in the stomach.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Technique

Whew, unlucky but also lucky and well-saved by the crew. That tyoe of event is not one I've encountered in any emergency training. Is there anything specific you did to manage the situation, other than shutting down quickly and keeping it straight? The impact noise alone would be shocking, I imagine.

So unfortunate. Hope the integrity of the airframe isn?t compromised and you can commence with repairs.

On a bright note, some guys in my area go years without getting their buck during deer season. Here you didn?t even need a rifle!

Just make sure after repairs are completed you paint a deer silhouette on the side of the fuse for your first kill. Four more and your an ace!

Training, instinct, and luck

Whew, unlucky but also lucky and well-saved by the crew. That tyoe of event is not one I've encountered in any emergency training. Is there anything specific you did to manage the situation, other than shutting down quickly and keeping it straight? The impact noise alone would be shocking, I imagine.

Paul,

The actual event was over in seconds and my recollection in hindsight may not reflect the actual sequence. I will eventually get the SD cards from the Garmin and look at the data to get the output of some of the recorded parameters.

First off, I am an experienced pilot with just under 18,000 hours of which a couple thousand is in light GA. I am current in transport category aircraft and regularly train in full motion simulators, which helps develop good procedures and techniques that no doubt helped.

As I said earlier, the initial impact was like a very intense V1 cut (loss of engine on takeoff) for a twin-engine aircraft. That's where the training and instinct kicked in. I only had just over 10 hours of tailwheel time and the endorsement, done in a Super Decathlon. But hours are just numbers, it was the muscle memory of "keeping it straight" and getting it stopped. Never gave up...stick with it, otherwise I am sure I would have become a passenger on the way to an excursion.

Timing is everything...yes it was bad timing that caused the impact, but it could have been much worse. Had we had more kinetic energy, had hit it while making a wheel landing , or if we had executed a go-around (never saw it in time for this option) and hit the gear or prop, it could have been much worse. Any of those scenarios could have left us inverted with a ruptured fuel tank.

Timing is everything...yes it was bad timing that caused the impact, but it could have been much worse. Had we had more kinetic energy, had hit it while making a wheel landing , or if we had executed a go-around (never saw it in time for this option) and hit the gear or prop, it could have been much worse. Any of those scenarios could have left us inverted with a ruptured fuel tank.

An even worse scenario would have been if the buck had spooked....jumped...and landed in the canopy........

Back