What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-9/9A!!!

N916k

N916K became an airplane on March 3, 2005
First flight on March 5, 2005
1200 hours or so of build time over two years.
105 hours on the clock so far.
Paint, well I'll get to that one day.
Started instrument training in it yesturday. Two trips across the country dodging weather is enough for me to get this ticket under my belt.

173d12788gu.jpg

Just over 2 years old, 319 hrs TT, Been From Seattle to Virginia, Reno, CA, and other local spots. 160HP Sensenich FP.

FlyingVA.jpg

Bryan & Sherri Wood's 9A

N994W first flew August 18, 2004 after LOTS of time spent in the garage. She is powered by an Aero Sport 0-320 D1A swinging a Hartzell C/S prop with a Lightspeed ignition on one side. Numbers meet or exceed what Van publishes, but it was supposed to with Bart building the engine to do exactly that. There have been some teething issues we're working through but are down to the smallest things now. Sometimes after unlocking the hanger and catching the first glimpse of her in several days I'm still taken back by the scope of what we've accomplished. For those flying already you know what I'm talking about, and for those still putting in your time building you are laying the foundation to experience this wonderful feeling in the future. While usure if I would ever take on a project like this again, I'm sure glad that we did it once. The support of my wonderful wife throughout the building helped to ensure completion and was critical several times when I was truly burned out. Now our 9A is always exactly how we leave her when she is put away after flight. She is full of gas, clean, and ready for our next outing!

Bryan & Sherri Wood "Flyin' the Flag"
chinoairshow0080pe.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my Egg Sube powered RV9E 290 hours as of 6/15/05. Did Oshkosh last year, Sun-n-Fun this year. Lots of Fun!

Nathan Larson
N217JT

nathanlarson.jpg

Well, I wouldn't call it finished, as I still have the gear leg fairings and wheel pants to install, but she's flying!!

First%20Flight1%20-%20Small.JPG

Last edited:
TaDa

Well, after 2.5 years of polishing and 350 hrs of flying, I am always looking for a new product to make my airplane maintenance easier.

My latest research came up with this very cool new stuff that comes in a can...

It's called P. A. I. N. T. :eek:

Enjoy!

N169AK-Paint.jpg

Nice Andy

Andy,

I saw your airplane at the Golden West this year and thought "Wow" to myself at the nicely polished skins. Now seeing this you brought the same thing to mind.

Nice!

Bryan

Enterprise ready for OSHKOSH!

Here are the first photos of my RV-9A on the runway out in front of the paint shop on July 23, 2005. Serial #90622 was the 155th RV-9 or RV-9A to fly according to the Van's Aircraft "Hobbs Meter" when my first flight was posted there.

DSCM0209.JPG

DSCM0208.JPG

You can go here to see the entire page from my web site.
http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a150.htm

DSCN0070.JPG

On the ramp at Georgetown, Texas - Labor Day 2005.

Jerry K. Thorne
www.n2prise.org

Last edited:
091220050017kq.jpg

Whoo Hoo!

RV-9 N869RV S/N, 90869 flew for the first time on September 12th, 2005.
First flight was uneventful. I held the nose below the horizon on take off to keep the temps down and per the recommendation in the book. When I looked down everything on the ground seemed very small for just after take off. I checked the VSI and was climbing out at 1100 ft/min!! On landing I almost made the first turn off. I can't wait to Zen with this plane!
Build time, less waiting for the wing kit to arrive, was 19 months for a
"slow build". Thanks to my main bucker and cheerleader Doug Peterson
of RV -6 & 10 fame, all the friends who ran over after a phone call to buck a few and mostly to my wife, who without her buy in and total support I never could have tackled a job this demanding. What will I do in the evenings now.............-8?

Last edited:
Hey Roger..........

From one Honeywell employee to another.....and from one RV-9 builder to another.....

CONGRATULATIONS! :D

That is AWESOME! I am excited for you and your maiden voyage! And the best part? We have yet another -9 (no A attached) in the air!

S-W-E-E-T ! Fly off those hours, and I'll need to schedule myself an 'official' Honeywell trip out to Arizona!

Again...CONGRAT'S!

WOW!! Talk about motivation..... I live in Peoria, AZ and work at Honeywell and building a 9a (fuselage)..
Congrats,
Paulo

txaviator said:
...from one one RV-9 builder to another.....

CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Roger,

That is great news! Want to come by my place and help me finish up my -9? The FWF kit came Friday and the finishing kit comes in another week or two so I'll have every thing you will need.

Paulo....

You also work for Honeywell? And are also building a -9? Incredible coincidence! Hey, Roger gave me some great contact info (internal Honeywell numbers) where as employees, we can get some smokin' good deals on Honeywell (Bendix King) avionics by utilizing our employee discount! Would you like for me to PM you the info?

What division do you work in? I am HSCE (Honeywell Security & Custom Electronics).

Take care,

Thank you all

Thanks to all for the congratulations!
I flew twice today. Once more over the top of the airport for 30 minutes and the second flight was out to the practice area for an hour. Total time 2 hours and all is running well. What a rocket in the climb out! Tower told me to keep the climb going and turn North over the north runway and the Seneca on the down wind. I've never been able to do that before! I'm telling ya... KEEP POUNDING THE RIVETS IT'S WORTH IT! :)

Vern Congratulations! I was at your presentation in Langley...very much appreciated your insights. How does it feel to have the coolest plane at Boundary Bay?

Danny
CZBB

First flight, RV-9A 90577 C-FVRL

Van's RV-9A, Canadian registry C-FVRL completed it's first flight, today January 24th, 2006. With Safety Pilot Mike Langford and Pilot/Builder Vernon Little on board, it departed Boundary Bay Airport (CZBB) in an awful hurry after a long gestation period of 3-1/2 years and 3,396.6 shop hours. As predicted for more than three years, it flew on 'Tuesday'.

Mike Langford, a very experienced pilot/instructor was very impressed with the handling of the -9A. Mike owns a Harvard, a T-28 and an R-22, however, we think Van's can expect a new customer in the near future...

Fuselage is a Quickbuild, everything else was a (relatively) slow build. Paint is by Arrow Tech Graphics in Langley, B.C.. Interior is by Flightline Interiors. Avionics and wiring was by the builder (me).

Empty weight is 1085 lbs. Engine is an Aerosport O-320-A1AC2 Roller Lifter engine, and the prop is the standard Sensenich metal fixed pitch. Mags are conventional. The panel is night VFR/VFR OTT with Dynon EFIS, Trutrak Autopilot and Turn and Bank, Garmin GPSMap 296, Rocky Mountain Engine Monitor, Garmin SL-40 Comm and GTX-327 Transponder. Traffic Monitor is a Monroy ATD-300 "Don't leave home without it". Engine monitor interface and audio mixer are from Vx Aviation.

After one hour of flight time, C-FVRL touched down delicately and taxied into to an adoring throng of two or three people. The RV grins were infectious.

Thanks to all my friends in local chapter of the RAA (Recreational Aircraft Ass'n), and fellow RV builders from around the world with whom I've developed on-line friendships. I hope I've given back as much as I've gotten in support from the community.

It's a strange feeling 'flying' rather than 'building'.

Note on Photo: Picture taken as we were taxiing in after first flight. Note the RV Grins and the jaunty hanging of the elbow out the side. We knew our picture was to be taken, of course!

Final note: Having a safety pilot in the right seat is an excellent way of lowering the stress level and workload of a first flight. Highly recommended.

Vernon Little
January 24th, 2006. "Tuesday"

127_2771_2_1.jpg

N63MS Flying

Here is the current state of my RV-9A. I don't yet have the fairings installed because I'm having too much fun flying it.

n63ms.jpg

Mike Schipper
www.my9a.com

N379RV Painted!

Here is a picture of N379RV fully painted!

379RV%20-%20Back%20left.JPG

I used Concept DCC Paint, and Vinyl graphics from Aerographics. Service was great, and I am very happy with the way the plane turned out!

Ron
RV-9A
http://www.N379RV.com

PU-JCI, Aracaju - Brasil

I?ve finished this marvelous airplane in August, 5th. Firts fly date. Wonderfull. Docile, speed, confort, emotions.
Working on this kit was so simple and very funny. A lot of new friends to help me on this job.
Thanks everyone,
JC - Aracaju - Brasil

N86JV Now Looks finished with Fresh Paint

Here are a couple pictures of our new paint on N86JV. It was painted by Matthews Aviation in Yerington, Nevada.

598433667446df079c8cfc.mid.jpg

1093792291446df079becdb.mid.jpg

Inflight Photo of N523RV

(Click to enlarge)

Inflight photo of N523RV. That's Matt Burch in the passenger seat. Photo by Josh Bickel, a recent KU graduate,
taken from an RV-6A owned by Al Stuber.

FIRST FLIGHTOF RV9 N659DB

First flight of RV9 N659DB took place at Perry-Houston Co. Airport (PXE) in central Georgia. I am a low time pilot (<200 hrs) with less than 20 hrs T/W experience but this plane took care of me very well. Climb rate was incredible! Control response immediate, and rock solid stability. It was a short flight as I saw some lightning and rain showers in the distance. It took me three attempts to land because she just didn't want to slow down! I learned a lot about airspeed management yesterday!!! I can tell that this plane will be a patient and forgiving teacher and look forward to many hours learning the ways of the RV9!
Pictured with me after the flight is my daughter Diana and son Bruce
rvgrin13ha.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

N789PH flew today for the first time with test pilot Doug Weiler at the controls. Doug said she is nearly as fast as his RV-4, lands much slower, and stalls like Cub. Temps all good, left wing a tad heavy, SL-40 needs some adjustment.

Big grins all around. Thanks for all the help from the guys and gals here!

Run-up:
graphics011pp1.jpg

Cleared for takeoff:
clearedfortakeoffup3.jpg

Losing the chase plane:
789ph002bg9.jpg

Pete and Doug reviewing the flight:
peteanddougpostflightkb3.jpg

Last edited:
Pete, I can't believe you picked the one day I was out of town to fly the new plane! Anyway, congrats on a beautiful plane, I look forward to another breakfast runner!

Congratulations!

I am of course jealous, and I am not sure how you got it done so quickly, with the family and everything.

For those who don't know, Pete is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Huge Kudos, and please think of me when you need left seat balast. :)

Good Stuff

Felicitation from one Pete to another Pete for finishing a RV9A. Job well done. My left wing was heavy and I installed a wedge on the right Aileron. Flies hands off now.

You will have a lot of fun with this plane. It goes fast and you can land it on a dime. Good travel machine.

Pete L :D

WOOHOO!

I was in the chase plane and can vouch for the speed! VERY well built Pete and congratulations!

...anxious to see her at EAU when you have the 40 done!

- Peter Fruehling

PS - Sorry you mised it Alex, it was a fun day!

More N789PH Pics

I promise to stop posting soon. 3 hrs on the hobbs now. Doug Weiler at the controls, I hope to transition next weekend.

Thanks to Alex Peterson for flying photoship in his RV-6A!

2ndflight041ha9.jpg

2ndflight047kt1.jpg

2ndflight056nf2.jpg

Keep up the posts

The next post I want to see is you at the controls Pete! That has to be killing you not to be flying your plane.

Congrats on your finished 9!

N949DB

Here is a pic (if I don't mess up the install process) of my recently finished RV9a. First flight was on March 10 of this year and she now has over 80 hrs on the hobbs. It took me 3 yrs 6 months to complete the project as a first time builder. It is a 9a quick build with the James cowl/plenum and Catto prop installed on the ECI 0360/180 hp engine. It is an all electric aircraft with a B&C back up alternator/emergency buss, PS 8000 audio panel, Garmin 430, Garmin 327 transponder, TruTrak pic pilot with alt hold, Dynon D10a, and an AF2500 engine monitor. I also have the Vans standard AS, Alt, and VSI as back up for partial panel capability. It has been all over Texas and recently made a trip from San Antonio to Northern Az to visit my brother Ron in Cottonwood (he is building an RV7a). Most of my prior flight time was in my Mooney 201 (sold about 2 yrs ago) but this plane is a lot less expensive to fly, is faster, and is much more fun.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Best Wishes and Keep Pounding those Rivets!

Cheers,

Dave B.
San Antonio, TX

Gorgeous 949DB

Dave,

Your completed Nine is spectacular. Your paint scheme and equipment list are an amazing match to what I have underway on my 9. How about a shot of your panel?

Terry R.
Mahomet, IL
N319TE, fuse

Terry,

Attached is a pic of the panel during the build process--this was the first time I powered it up. You will note that the Dynon and AF2500 still have the protective plastic on them.

I did not install the canopy ejection system--used the space for my switches.
I moved the left panel support to the left about an inch to be able to center the Dynon in front of the pilot.
It is all electric (no vacuum) so the red switch on the far right of the switch line is the emergency buss system. If that little yellow light above the Dynon lights I can through the one switch which takes the primary alternator (which has failed) off line and brings on line my back up B&C alternator to drive the emergency buss/essential instruments/components.
The space under the 430 is for a future SL40 or 30 -- the wiring is already behind the panel and hooked to the audio panel if I ever want to install a back up to the 430.

If I were to do this today I would be going with the 7" Dynon EFIS and EIS---they were not available when I needed them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Nicely done, Dave. Thanks much for the pic. I suspect that about 1.5 yrs from now, we'll have fraternal twin Nine-A's. I have a son in Dallas and get down that way periodically. I may look you up during one of my Lone Star trips. :D

Terry R.
Mahomet, IL
N319TE; RV-9A; QB fuse

WAM120 Powered RV9A

Wilksch Powered RV9A

Following almost 4 years of development work, involving three different cowl designs, G.CDCD has being test flown proving that this Aircraft/ Engine combination to be real winner! She took to the air for he first time on the 29th November 2006 in the very capable hands of Kerry Ashcroft, Wilksch Airmotive Engineer, at Wellesbourne Airfield. Kerry had of course planned for various flight scenarios including a very tight first circuit and quick landing if any problems were evident, but when he climbed into the overhead and then disappeared off to the south for almost half an hour we knew all was well. The only problems encountered were a slightly heavy left wing and a high tick over which made slowing the aeroplane down difficult. On landing Kerry was wearing the much talked about RV grin!!

After the tick over problem and trim problem was dealt with the aeroplane took to the air again in the hands of builder Steve Arnold and co owner Tony Wood who provided assistance in recording performance figures and another pair of eyes to help monitor the instruments, for another half hour flight. Take off with a 580 lb load was accomplished in less than 350 ft, climb at 100 mph was 1200 ft/minute and a cruise of 140MPH at 85% max rated RPM 85MAP at 2000 ft. A subsequent flight gave a cruise of 160MPH at 85% max RPM and 95 MAP at 3500 ft, as because the engine is turbo charged power does not reduce with decrease in atmospheric pressure in the same way as normally aspirated engines.

Yes, you have guessed it, Steve and Tony both returned with the RV grin.

rv9a2ek1.jpg

Back