What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Something Other Than Proseal?

terrykohler

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of rebuilding an elevator for my RV9A. It's been a while since I've used proseal (for the stiffners and aft wedge), but it's awful pricey. Anyone use something cheaper that will serve as glue and bedding?
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

sikaflex has been working for us with no cracks on rudder and elevator for about 60h of flight time...

Thanks Bill!

Somehow I was looking at $109.00 on the Van's site. Big miss on my part. Also checking out 3M 2216 (thanks, Larry)
Terry

I would consider asking other builders close to your place for some that they may have left over. Out of date and refrigerated should be fine and it wouldn't surprise me if some local builders would have some and happy to share??

I would consider asking other builders close to your place for some that they may have left over. Out of date and refrigerated should be fine and it wouldn't surprise me if some local builders would have some and happy to share??

I have 3 cans that were delivered with a BD-5 kit, dated 11/1973 that you're welcome to. Although that may be a little too far out of date. And it hasn't been refrigerated in several years.

Thanks Mel

I have 3 cans that were delivered with a BD-5 kit, dated 11/1973 that you're welcome to. Although that may be a little too far out of date. And it hasn't been refrigerated in several years.

Ever notice that sometimes, just reading a couple of sentences can make you smile.
Terry

Van's now recommends (and sells) the VHB tape for the wedge in section 5 (although kit instructions don't seem to have been updated to match). Won't help you with the stiffeners unfortunately.

I liked using the tape on my -10 rudder and elevators.

If you go with the VHB tape, get it from Van's. DO NOT get it from Amazon. I tried that and it was heat damaged or old and did not work at all.

I'm in the process of rebuilding an elevator for my RV9A. It's been a while since I've used proseal (for the stiffners and aft wedge), but it's awful pricey. Anyone use something cheaper that will serve as glue and bedding?
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I am building the RV8 so it doesn't have the wedge like your RV9. I use the globs of RTV for the stiffner at the trailing edge instead of proseal to remedy vibration cracking. From experience, the Proseal cures a lot slower than RTV so it gives you longer working time.

Where are you?

First tip to posters..your location..I often have "expired" Proseal available to me, as I am in the business of maintaining the worlds largest flying gas stations. I'm not going to get into sending it everywhere, but if you were close I could likely get some for you. I know I'm not the only one on here that works around the stuff at their day job, so maybe someone could help you if they knew where you were located...VAF is the marketplace for help!!

First tip to posters..your location.

Absolutely true. I have plenty of odds and ends (proseal and a bunch of other things) that I'd be happy to dole out as needed to in-need locals. But I don't want to get into the hassle of shipping. So unless you give a location, you probably won't hear from me.

Van's now recommends (and sells) the VHB tape for the wedge in section 5 (although kit instructions don't seem to have been updated to match). Won't help you with the stiffeners unfortunately.

I liked using the tape on my -10 rudder and elevators.

If you go with the VHB tape, get it from Van's. DO NOT get it from Amazon. I tried that and it was heat damaged or old and did not work at all.

The VHB is what I used.

JUST A NOTE OF POSSIBLE INTEREST

I sealed a fuel tank about 2 months ago. I had about 1/4 of it left ( the 3.5 oz cartridge ). I put a plastic cap on the end and put it into a freezer. I had an oil leak on the front of my pickup engine. I cleaned it off very well and warmed up the remainder of it and sealed where the leak was. Surprising how well it still works. Not sure I'd use it on a fuel tank, but for an oil leak, it works well.

Back