Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 04-12-2022, 10:20 AM

Default IFR checks

Sorry this is not Glass Cockpit per se, but this forum gets more traffic than the other avionics ones and I did not find a better place.

I'm assuming that for legal IFR in an experimental that we still have to do the transponder and pitot/static checks by an avionics shop every 24 months just like a certificated plane. True?
Old 04-12-2022, 10:25 AM

Default True

That is correct.

The aircraft must also be equipped for IFR, ie an IFR certified GPS, etc...

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 04-12-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondawes View Post
Sorry this is not Glass Cockpit per se, but this forum gets more traffic than the other avionics ones and I did not find a better place.

I'm assuming that for legal IFR in an experimental that we still have to do the transponder and pitot/static checks by an avionics shop every 24 months just like a certificated plane. True?
Yes you need the checks every 24 months. Also review CFR 91.205 for IFR equipment list requirements. Check those 2 boxes with updated GPS data base and you are good to go.

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP 66" Catta 3 blade Carbon
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - GFC500
JPI EMS-350 to monitor the temps
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
Donation Happily Made!
Old 04-12-2022, 11:59 AM

Since you are at TKI you might want to contact Walt at EXPaircraft services. He is a VAF advertiser located at 52F.

He specializes is RV’s and avionics.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 04-12-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
That is correct.

The aircraft must also be equipped for IFR, ie an IFR certified GPS, etc...
There is no requirement for a TSO’d GPS. Just ‘navigation equipment suitable for the flight’.
And if you have a transponder, it must be checked every 24 months-for VFR, too.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:28 PM

The normal joyful IFR equipment discussion

Some other caveats beyond those mentioned:

We are assuming this isn't for an RV-12 type airplane, but if so, LSA's have additional restrictions for IFR flight (as in they can't at all? Can't remember the details, and apparently there is different interpretations, and matters how you are LSA (S-LSA, E-LSA, EAB (but still LSA))

Next, apparently some EAB's had operational limitations specified that limited operations in IMC, but these can be updated by your friendly DAR if that is the case. I think all past and current ops lims referred back to 91.205 anyway, and of course that is the FAR, so you that is the bare minimum needed for equipment.

Lastly, the requirements for Pitot/Static/Altimeter etc checks are actually specified in Part 43, Appendix E and F, so you kind of have to piece together the various FAR's to get a complete picture of what equipment is required, and then how to maintain it. I have heard that there is a common misperception that some of those checks don't apply to experimental, or to VFR airplanes, etc, but I don't see that to be the case, but it's certainly been hotly debated here and other places, so do what you gotta do

Since your at TKI, if your transponder check has expired, there was a thread here recently discussing this. Since your under the bravo, it gets complicated fast since you need it in the ring, but you can't use it legally cause it's expired, but you need it in the ring...

Walt and others in the metroplex have mobile transponder etc check services, if you are unable to (legally) fly it to them, they can come to you.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untainted123 View Post
The normal joyful IFR equipment discussion

Some other caveats beyond those mentioned:

We are assuming this isn't for an RV-12 type airplane, but if so, LSA's have additional restrictions for IFR flight (as in they can't at all? Can't remember the details, and apparently there is different interpretations, and matters how you are LSA (S-LSA, E-LSA, EAB (but still LSA))

Next, apparently some EAB's had operational limitations specified that limited operations in IMC, but these can be updated by your friendly DAR if that is the case. I think all past and current ops lims referred back to 91.205 anyway, and of course that is the FAR, so you that is the bare minimum needed for equipment.

Lastly, the requirements for Pitot/Static/Altimeter etc checks are actually specified in Part 43, Appendix E and F, so you kind of have to piece together the various FAR's to get a complete picture of what equipment is required, and then how to maintain it. I have heard that there is a common misperception that some of those checks don't apply to experimental, or to VFR airplanes, etc, but I don't see that to be the case, but it's certainly been hotly debated here and other places, so do what you gotta do

Since your at TKI, if your transponder check has expired, there was a thread here recently discussing this. Since your under the bravo, it gets complicated fast since you need it in the ring, but you can't use it legally cause it's expired, but you need it in the ring...

Walt and others in the metroplex have mobile transponder etc check services, if you are unable to (legally) fly it to them, they can come to you.
Clarification on transponder and pitot static inspections. Part 43 appendix E & F tell you how to do it. Part 91.411 and 91.413 tell you that you have to do it.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 04-12-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
Clarification on transponder and pitot static inspections. Part 43 appendix E & F tell you how to do it. Part 91.411 and 91.413 tell you that you have to do it.
Derp, forgot about that also. You might want to consult your local aviation attorney (the guy sitting in the FBO coffee lounge, sharing his aviation knowledge with passerby's )

I think I have this right now:
91.205 etc -> Must have
91.411 etc -> Must do
43.E etc -> How do

For me, I fly my plane IFR, so I was more worried about verifying the equipment was accurate than compliance. I wanted to know if there were leaks in the system, how accurate my airspeed and altitude are, etc, and getting the check done verified all that for me, and the cost wasn't terrible, especially every 2 years.

At the end of the day, flying an IFR capable airplane IMC just adds that much more expense and effort (411 checks, db updates, extra radios/antennas/electronics), so you kind of are all-in once you decide you want IFR, and the 24 month checks probably aren't even the biggest cost maintaining that capability (it all adds up though).
Old 04-12-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
There is no requirement for a TSO’d GPS. Just ‘navigation equipment suitable for the flight’.
And if you have a transponder, it must be checked every 24 months-for VFR, too.
So in the example, ie gps, you are saying that you can legally fly IFR with a VFR GPS?

I don’t think so…

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+

Last edited by rocketman1988 : 04-12-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
So in the example, ie gps, you are saying that you can legally fly IFR with a VFR GPS?

I don’t think so…
I don't think I said that. What I said was, no GPS was required at all, as long as you had the nav capability required for the flight. You know, like the old days, a VOR and maybe an ILS? There are still places where that's all you need.