- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:24 PM

Hi all,

Thank you all for the responses. I am overwhelmed by the replies and debates. I did not think it would become some hot topic.

Just for clarity, I do not own this aircraft. I am only filming as I have an interest in this project. I personally would like to see more diesel in GA due to above comments that Avgas is hard to find in some parts of the world.
I am personally concerned about GA. Avgas might be full up in some parts in the world but, for how long? I would rather let the development and research happen sooner than later.

I do understand that there are costs and I unfortunately do not have the numbers. Maybe an idea for a later video to look at some of the real world costs.

I noted in some replies, that the engine is not sold to the experimental market and that is correct. It is to OEM clients only at this stage. The RV-9 being built by Robin Coss will be a production built aircraft. This development will add additional options to the current production built Vans RV range.

I will not be replying on here often as I would like to keep some content for the videos but, I am still reading all the replies.

Feel free to continue the discussion
Old 01-17-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantosDumont View Post
The TBR isn't as big of a deal as it seems... It's not a brand new $90k engine at TBR, it's $45k for a factory replacement engine.
Interesting! That is a key piece of information (which I did not know), especially given that $45k is competitive against a new Lycoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruans View Post
I noted in some replies, that the engine is not sold to the experimental market and that is correct. It is to OEM clients only at this stage. The RV-9 being built by Robin Coss will be a production built aircraft. This development will add additional options to the current production built Vans RV range.
I could be wrong, but I think that most VAF folks live in countries where there is a clear line between factory-built airplanes and homebuilt experimentals. There are enterprises that come close to that line (e.g. A&Ps that will "help" you by doing 49% or more of your build, but work with you to document things in such a way where you can show that you did 51% of the work... and companies that build S-LSAs using manufacturing standards that are not quite up there with Cirrus or Cessna, closer to what you see in an amateur homebuilder's garage) but they're still clearly either "homebuilt/experimental" or "factory built". The line between them remains clear.

So it may be odd/interesting to most people in this forum that, in many countries, there are companies that truly and legitimately straddle this line, building RV-7/8/9/10/14s but being treated by other companies like Continental (and sometimes by local governments) as an "airplane production facility" akin to how Cirrus or Cessna would be treated. So I thought it might be worthwhile to lay this out explicitly for everyone. (In fact, Ruan, I'd be curious to watch an interview with Robin Coss where he clarifies in what ways his business is like an individual amateur homebuilder and in which ways it's not. A lot of VAF users might appreciate something like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruans View Post
I am personally concerned about GA. Avgas might be full up in some parts in the world but, for how long? I would rather let the development and research happen sooner than later.
I think that's true for most of us, at least when it comes to the inevitability of 100LL eventually going away. (Having a "low-tech" engine might sound like a negative, but on the other hand, we all certainly value reliability).

I'm personally very interested in this topic because we need figure out carbon-neutral flight, and alternative fuels are the best way to do this: Electric airplanes have serious limitations, and hydrogen has a lot of unknowns. Synthetic fuels, on the other hand, require little to no changes to current airplane. The main reason why I hope that these diesel engines succeed in the market is because you could then use SAF (i.e. synthetic jet fuel made from biomass rather than from petroleum). However, due to the cost, I still think that synthetic UL91 or maybe ethanol are more promising solutions. But if I were to get one of these engines, my reason would be so that I can use SAF and fly carbon-neutral. That would be pretty cool. (Not worth $90k, though, especially since there are cheaper ways to accomplish carbon-neutral flight, some of which can probably be implemented on our good ol' Lycoming engines).

Last edited by AeroEngineer : 01-17-2022 at 11:23 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 01-17-2022, 09:08 PM

While Jet A will have greater demand, Avgas and high octane gasoline aren't going away either. Might not be 100LL, or other 100 octane variant. There will always be a 91 or 93 octane gasoline spark ignition fuel available too. There will always be something for a Lycoming to burn, maybe not with 10:1 pistons, but 8.5:1 can burn 91 octane with the correct fuel delivery system.
Fuselage assembly, it's a riveting job!
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 01-18-2022, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroEngineer View Post
(In fact, Ruan, I'd be curious to watch an interview with Robin Coss where he clarifies in what ways his business is like an individual amateur homebuilder and in which ways it's not. A lot of VAF users might appreciate something like that).

Valid and noted point. I am unclear how different the rules are per country. I know there are some differences that I won't go into detail as I am no expert so might give the wrong information.

On my channel I made a previous video around his shop but, does not go into detail as much. You can you check it out if you want to although, it might not answer it directly.

I will ask him to clarify the above. In fact, the next video updated will be based on all the PMs, posts and emails I have been getting and will add this one to the list.

We are awaiting the engine mount anyway so not much progress on the engine side but, there are some updates with the rest of the build as well. So next video I will focus on more on the questions.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:39 AM

I've lost my mind...

Lately I've spent a lot of time designing a hangar home. So here's a nice video with cool engine stuff and what am I looking at? Check out the interesting asymmetric truss structure in that hangar!

I return you to normal reality....
Old 01-18-2022, 07:12 AM

Looking forward to your updates on the installation and later flying this engine. Cool project.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 456.0 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 01-20-2022, 05:25 AM

Default Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
The product looks great, but they(Continental) need a realistic selling price. $580/horsepower is well into giggle territory.
If VW could be motivated to enter the AC engine market , I suspect the price would drop considerably.