- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:11 AM

Default Garmin GTR receiver audio

Has anyone with one of Garmin's COMM radios gotten the "Receiver Audio" function to work? From their manual:
4.11 Receiver Audio

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT is a 40 mW audio output that is intended to drive a recording device or an audio panel.

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT supplies 40 mW (4.9 Vrms) into a 600Ω load, and is generally connected to the audio panel (if used). This output can also drive a recording device. When driving a recording device the output level will typically need to be reduced. The output level is controlled through configuration mode.

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT is the summation of the receiver audio, COM sidetone audio, intercom audio, and AUX audio.
This seems like a great option to wire up to a camera to record intercom audio, but in my install, I can't get it to output an actual audio signal. Garmin's support (who are always excellent and patient with me) are stumped on this one, and say it's a software problem. So I thought I'd ask here: Anyone else encountered and managed to fix this?
Donated 12/31/2021
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for airworthiness
Old 06-04-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Has anyone with one of Garmin's COMM radios gotten the "Receiver Audio" function to work? From their manual:
4.11 Receiver Audio

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT is a 40 mW audio output that is intended to drive a recording device or an audio panel.

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT supplies 40 mW (4.9 Vrms) into a 600Ω load, and is generally connected to the audio panel (if used). This output can also drive a recording device. When driving a recording device the output level will typically need to be reduced. The output level is controlled through configuration mode.

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT is the summation of the receiver audio, COM sidetone audio, intercom audio, and AUX audio.
This seems like a great option to wire up to a camera to record intercom audio, but in my install, I can't get it to output an actual audio signal. Garmin's support (who are always excellent and patient with me) are stumped on this one, and say it's a software problem. So I thought I'd ask here: Anyone else encountered and managed to fix this?
Ryan,

The Receiver Out audio output is typically only used in installations where the GTR 200 is connected to an audio panel (using pins 10,29).

I realize your system doesn't have an audio panel and you need the intercom function of the GTR 200B, but as a test, if you disable the intercom on your GTR 200B, you will see this audio output become active.

The simpler GTR 200 has this Receiver Out audio output active whether or not the internal intercom is enabled, but for the Bluetooth capable GTR 200B, this Receiver Out audio output signal is only available when the internal intercom function is disabled.

Steve
Old 06-04-2022, 05:30 PM

Ahh, you're right. Digging into the E-mail chain with Garmin, that's exactly what they suggested I try, I just missed it. Yes, with the intercom off, those pins output audio correctly. I can see how that might be a software bug.

For now, I suppose if I want to record intercom audio, I could run a cord from the passenger headset jack to the camera. Seems silly when the intercom has a pin specifically for audio out, but it works \_(ツ)_/
Donated 12/31/2021
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for airworthiness