Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:39 PM

Default Fiberglass hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I envy that kind of skill. Beautiful work.
Since I lack the skill and the patience to learn it, I made a one piece fiberglass trim. Reason is, if for any reason the windshield has to be replaced, both can be removed just like an auto windshield. Bonded with Sika.
Attachment 10336
I am horrible with fiberglass. To me, it seems like an art form. I’ve been in HVAC for almost thirty years. I envy you guys who can make the fiberglass fairings. I’m going to give the metal fairing a shot, if it doesn’t pan out, I will muddle my way through the fiberglass.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:27 PM

Making progress... I turned a six-foot sheet of 0.040" into a single-piece fairing for the top of the rollbar. I got as far as getting it fitted and the aft edge trimmed to final size, before I ran out of weekend. I'm pretty happy with the fit so far - I was able to get a fairly consistent gap all the way around. Next step will be to trim the remaining edges of all this aluminum.

Full build log: http://www.rv7blog.com/2021/04/25/al...llbar-fairing/

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.

Last edited by mburch : 04-25-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:12 AM

Looks great Matt! I am curious, is the piece that goes over the roll bar tube clecoed through the plexi and the roll bar or just the plexi?
Old 04-27-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in SC View Post
I am curious, is the piece that goes over the roll bar tube clecoed through the plexi and the roll bar or just the plexi?
It's clecoed through the plexiglass into the rollbar. I already had pilot holes drilled in the windscreen and rollbar, so I just reverse-match-drilled them into the new fairing (not too bad of a job with careful measuring!)

Old 04-27-2021, 01:25 PM

Hi Matt-Looks great!

Do you have any plans to provide any reinforcement to the piece over the roll bar? It's very subject to damage from climbing in and out of the plane--especially from being pushed down on.

Since I did mine with fiberglass (mostly just because I lack your metal working skills), I was able to sandwich a layer or two of either kevlar or carbon fiber (can't remember which) between layers of fiberglass making it super stiff and much less susceptible to damage.

Maybe it's just something you'll be extra cautious about when taking passengers?

Again, your whole fairing looks fantastic! Good job!

Steve

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 04-27-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Do you have any plans to provide any reinforcement to the piece over the roll bar?
Good question Steve. I'm following in Andy's footsteps and using the same .040" thick material over the rollbar that he used. It's fairly stout, although as you say it won't stand up to someone really bearing down on it. No other reinforcement, so I'll just have to brief passengers appropriately.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburch View Post
Good question Steve. I'm following in Andy's footsteps and using the same .040" thick material over the rollbar that he used. It's fairly stout, although as you say it won't stand up to someone really bearing down on it. No other reinforcement, so I'll just have to brief passengers appropriately.
Yes. A thorough passenger brief and demonstration is a must with any RV. Even fellow RV pilots that are used to a tip up or a slider.

The .040 over the windscreen/rollbar is pretty robust, I would only fear it provides enough leverage to possible pinch/crack the rear windscreen edge or tweak the screws enough to cause a crack. It would take a lot.
The forward edge of the sliding canopy is much more frail and also a favorite “grab handle” of passengers.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
A thorough passenger brief and demonstration is a must with any RV. Even fellow RV pilots that are used to a tip up or a slider.
Yup, no different than the time a guy tried to close my tip-up canopy for me and broke it.

I still have the option to trim more off of the rollbar cover, although I need to keep some amount of overhang - at least at the bottom corners, where I need it to help fair in the forward edges of the canopy skirt.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:59 AM

I searched high and low for something with the right combination of stiffness and flexibility that I could use to mark a smooth curve to trim the top of the windscreen base fairing. I happened to stumble on the notion of using a piece of exterior door weatherstrip and it worked perfectly. The kind that's made to fit into a kerf slot in a door jamb has a hard rubber edge that makes it easy to mark your trim line, after you establish the shape by taping it down at a few key locations:

After trimming to the line, I'm very happy with this result:

Laying out the trim line for the front of the rollbar fairing:

Happy with this too:

Still some work to do at the bottom corners along the longerons, but otherwise I think I have everything trimmed to its final shape. I need to order some Sika stuff soon...

Old 05-01-2021, 10:00 PM

Default Amazing

Pretty amazing work. A true craftsman!
Makes me want to try metal.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 5% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done (waiting on fiberglass to be done)
Fiberglass 5%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com