What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

torque wrench

Whatever you get, make sure it's calibrated! I cheaped out and got a cheesy one [brand redacted to avoid flamewar] and about half way through the build, found it to be way off. I then replaced it with quite good CDI 1501 and 1002 wrenches and re-torqued every nut in the build.

CDI

Whatever you get, make sure it's calibrated! I cheaped out and got a cheesy one [brand redacted to avoid flamewar] and about half way through the build, found it to be way off. I then replaced it with quite good CDI 1501 and 1002 wrenches and re-torqued every nut in the build.

Excellent torque wrenches. Snap On is a CDI wrench.
You can find them on Amazon as well.
I have the screwdriver, 1/4 and 3/8. Always turn it down one below the lowest setting so it doesn't creep. Screwdriver is great for finding running torque if you don't own a dial or pendulum style.

You’ll want at least two: One for spark plugs and large bolts (20 and higher Ft lbs) and one for AN3 etc nuts (20 and higher in lbs) (note different units!)
And everyone should periodically check their torque wrench calibration with weights hung from the handle of a wrench

By all means, get a QUALITY torque wrench. I agree with the crowd that CDI is a good one, but I'm sure there are others. Just don't cheap out. A 1/4" drive calibrated in inch-pounds will get you through almost every fastener that needs to be tightened throughout the build. You'll mainly need the big boys for oil filters and spark plugs later on.

And be sure to unload the spring (reset to zero) after every use before storing the wrench in its case. That will help ensure calibration doesn't quickly drift.

Harbor Freight, electronic unit, 1/4,3/8, and 1/2 transducers in one small box and is very accurate and repeatable for little money. Well worth a look.

Attachments

• torque wrench.jpg
    torque wrench.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 89
Back