Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Langhout View Post
Flew the first and second leg of a long transport. Picked up two Tibetian Spaniels at my home airport (3M5). Then flew up to Smyrna, TN (KMQY) to pick up two cats. Then flew the next leg from Smyrna to Fort Leonard Wood, MO (KTBN) to meet the next pilot (flying a Cessna Citation no less). Dogs and cats are headed to Washington state where they will meet their adopters. Lots of moving parts to this transport - kudos to the organizer who set it up!
Dan,

I just signed up for PnP, any advice for packing all those crates in an RV-7?

Thx!

Dave
RV-7 N701ED Flying!
Nashua, NH (KASH) / Plymouth, NH (1P1)
Old 08-31-2021, 07:08 AM

Default only small crates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
Dan,

Thx!

Dave
I have flown a few PNP missions in my 7A. The dogs have not been crated. I just confirm they are not aggressive, can be picked up, and tie their lead to the tie down ring on the floor of the baggage area with enough slack to rearrange themselves in their bed and look out at whats going on but not enough for their teeth to get o my head... No problems so far...
Old 08-31-2021, 08:27 AM

Worked on a pesky seeping fuel tank leak yet again. No pics, but it's the only time you will hear me cuss Vans QB kits...... I just hate those 21 dash-3 bolts that secure the "Z" brackets on the -10 fuel tanks.

-Marc
Old 08-31-2021, 08:32 AM

How did you fit them all in your plane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Langhout View Post
Flew the first and second leg of a long transport. Picked up two Tibetian Spaniels at my home airport (3M5). Then flew up to Smyrna, TN (KMQY) to pick up two cats. Then flew the next leg from Smyrna to Fort Leonard Wood, MO (KTBN) to meet the next pilot (flying a Cessna Citation no less). Dogs and cats are headed to Washington state where they will meet their adopters. Lots of moving parts to this transport - kudos to the organizer who set it up!

Old 08-31-2021, 08:45 AM

Chased down a brake issue. Have it licked but still getting the moaning French Horn sounds. Not sure why yet.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:57 AM

Default An oil change, but...

All I did this weekend was an oil and filter change but on Thursday I completed the return from my second East Coast excursion.

We departed Aug 15 from CYQF, Red Deer, Alberta and 29.5 hours, 5 legs totaling 13.2 hours flight time later we landed at CYSU, Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Fuel stops in Yorkton, SK; Dryden, ON; Hearst, ON (overnight); and La Tuque, QC. Flight was trouble free (anyone who recalls my 2019 excursion - this one was all kinds of trouble), had strong tailwinds all the way and only one challenging landing in Dryden.

I burned a tank of 100LL giving sightseeing tours for my family on Aug 22/23, such a beautiful place to fly.

On Aug 25 we headed home. 5 primary legs with one short reposition, 15.2 hours air time and 31 hours elapsed. Stops were similar to the way out. La Tuque, QC; Kapuskasing, ON; Sioux Lookout, ON; Dryden, ON; Yorkton, SK. We ended up sleeping in a courtesy car in Dryden as there were no hotel rooms. Decent tailwinds coming west on the second day. Again trouble free (apart from sleeping in a car). I even got to utilize my freshly obtained VFR-Over The Top rating coming out of Dryden - flying 4500' over an overcast layer.

The rest of my family flew out commercially but my autistic daughter refused to get onto the flight home. They just set out to return home this morning by road in a vehicle I purchased over there yesterday. Their 5 - 10 hour drives will stop very close to my stops between 3 hour legs.

In all my RV9A gave me nearly 32 hours (air time) of flawless performance. It's a great way to travel.

Pictures attached, one is a famous mystery airfield (sorry about the rotation), one is the coast of Prince Edward Island as we arrived. The others are over Lake Nipigon and over the clouds in western Ontario.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1404.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	15279  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1454.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	15280  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1511.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	15282  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1518.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	15283  
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 08-31-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Fitting Dog Crates

Quote:
Originally Posted by n567vb View Post
How did you fit them all in your plane?
Two of the blue crates sit on the baggage floor facing forward. The third blue crate sits crossways accross the top of the first two secured by some cord. The small pink crate just sat on the passenger seat (passenger control stick removed). I can actually carry 4 blue crates if I remove the passenger seat. Crates are Petmate 21231 24 x 17 x 14.5 - carefully selected because they will fit as described.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
818 hours and counting . . . .
26 Pilots N Paws Flights
Now based at Moontown (3M5)

Last edited by Dan Langhout : 08-31-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
Dan,

Thx!

Dave
See Post #17
First Flight July 26th, 2014
818 hours and counting . . . .
26 Pilots N Paws Flights
Now based at Moontown (3M5)
Old 08-31-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
Well, not my RV, but a friend's new to him. My first almost Coast to Coast cross country in a little airplane:

Left the Bay Area noonish on Saturday, had to take the southern route due to smoke from a fire that's about to
eat my house. Landed on Maryland's Eastern Shore just after sunset Sunday.

2+3 three-hour-ish legs split by an overnight in Albuquerque. VFR all the way, some time on O2 (system
failed or I would have done more), always left myself an out when dealing with convection. Sometimes
flight following, sometimes just 121.5 and some sweet tunes (the cockpit dancing videos will not be shared,
you're welcome).

M'lady said "I can't believe you finished the trip from Albuquerque in one day!" to which I said "You wake
up on one coast and fly eight hours to the other to be home for dinner all the time." Perspective, I guess.
yep, that's a hard push from Albu-turkey towards home... and with some weather. impressive!

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 09-01-2021, 06:53 AM

Interesting that you chose to do that trip across and huricane landfall.