Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:50 PM

Default Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
You can at least do the "smoke test" to ensure all your power lines go to power and data lines go to data. I lit up my panel right after wiring to make sure, with no antennas attached. Nothing popped or smoked, but I did find one RS-232 pair with Tx and Rx reversed.
I was trying to figure out how to apply power on the bench and I realized there are so many interfaces not hooked up it seemed pointless. So for one last time I ohm checked all the power and ground wires. I thought I had a short when the power to ground measurement read 80 ohms. I started freaking out and then realized the taxi light relay was in circuit. Everything measured OK.

Next step is to finish all I can in the cockpit before installing the panel..
I am almost thereÖÖ.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Electrical/Panel 95% done
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 06-08-2021, 08:35 PM

Default Final Fuse Push

Now that the panel is done enough to install, I have been working to finish all the fuselage stuff to limit the amount of work I need to do on my back once the panel is installed.

First off was to finish the fuel lines. I have been putting this off because I didn't want to keep hitting them as I walked around the airplane. Now it was time to install. My hat is off to those who did this per the plans; I was not able to get a single line from the valve to the wing roots, so I broke it up into three pieces. Ya the extra breaks have more potential for leaks, but I am using 200 PSI fittings for a maximum of 8 psi; so I think it will be OK.

Next up was figuring out the GPS and XM antenna placements. I was planning on putting them just forward of the firewall, exactly like what is NOT recommended due to heat. Then I thought about a place on the glare shield, but I didn't like seeing over them all the time. I thought the rear turtle deck would not work because I was afraid the canopy would not slide over them. Turns out someone posted a picture on these forums and guess what, the canopy clears them by a large margin. So I ended up installing the GPS antennas in the preferred locations on top the fuselage. Now I have to spend $200 on 50 feet of RG400 cable to run to the back. Oh well. Here are my antennas installed temporarily so that I can run the antenna wires. I think this is going to work out great!
I also installed the parking brake handle. I had to redo the idiot light switch. (I was an idiot the first time). I had it activate when the lever pushed on it, but a slight shaking would cause it to be intermittent. I changed it so that it is activated when the lever sweeps past it; no longer susceptible to vibrations.
I still need to torque everything, and then torque strip.
Next up is prep for the engine mount install, then install the panel, then hang the engine. Lots to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	12392  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781(1).JPG
Views:	186
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	12393  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2759.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	12394  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2761.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	12395  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2763.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	12396  

Name:	IMG_2779.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	12397  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2778.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	12398  

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 06-08-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:43 AM

Default Baggage Lights

Just quick update, installed the baggage lights and tested them at night.

I thought this was the last of crawling in the back, then I looked on the shelf and realized I need to install the ELT antenna. 90% done, 90% to go. My method to my madness is to install what I can so that my shelves are less cluttered and I can find parts quicker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lights vans.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	13545  

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 07-11-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:04 AM

Default Panel pic-final iteration

After several revisions, the last being the rs232 data for the elt to come from the GTX375, here is the final flight panel to be used on first flight. Almost ready for install, just need to tidy up some wiring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panel vans.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	13547  

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 07-11-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:15 PM

Default Update

So I had to drill another hole in the spar for the GPS and XM antenna's coax. There just wasn't enough room in the existing holes. Luckily, Vans has a document on-line that tells where toplace these additional feed thru holes. I only needed one. In the picture, the new hole is just to the left of the green sticker.

The ELT was installed per guidance. The hardest part was soldering on the connector; I did this in the plane to avoid a really long harness. The antenna was installed and the coax ran to the ELT. The antenna is tied up very loose on purpose, so in the event of a crash, the coax antenna cable has the lowest chance to be stretched and broken.

I also got the engine mount shimmed up and am ready to drill the holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6131FB7D-C4BA-4363-B621-F90285B1E18C.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	13541  Click image for larger version

Name:	5E202D5A-EFB8-419A-B252-20CB08A1D1E0.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	13542  Click image for larger version

Name:	F491FCFD-800C-4653-B2B1-6AD0D8E4052E.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	13544  

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 07-11-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:55 PM

you're in the thick of it, hang in there, it's looking good!

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 07-13-2021, 08:40 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Steve. i am diffidently in the fun part, being a mechanic and all. It is nice to get away from the wiring for a bit and get back to big hammers and big drills.

Hope to see you at Osh; I missed you 2 years ago when you had your flap motor problems.

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Old 09-03-2021, 09:30 AM

Default Fuselage Update, Chapter 23

Final assembly is continuing. Have installed instrument panel permanently in plane. Last picture below was just after riveting with few wires connected.

If you look closely, the engine mount is visible; it is on permanently; a big step, but relatively easy. I wanted to install the engine mount before the panel so it was easier to get to the engine mount bolts, but I don't think it mattered much.

Since that time I have wired everything up from plane to black boxes except engine temp sensors; those I will wait on until engine is installed.

I have all the antennas connected to the radio trays, so technically I wont emit smoke if I turn the radios on; I am prepping to light up the instruments before the engine goes in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3112.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	15372  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3110.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	15373  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3083.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	15374  

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 09-03-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:14 AM

Default Nice John

Nice work John. Very tidy. Are you putting in access panels on the top skin for sub panel access of your remote LRUís, TCW battery, ground, etc?
I am debating putting in the top plate access panels. Probably will. Hear they donít leak if you use good silicone adhesive.
Cal
Old 09-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Default No access

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeyman View Post
Nice work John. Very tidy. Are you putting in access panels on the top skin for sub panel access of your remote LRUís, TCW battery, ground, etc?
I am debating putting in the top plate access panels. Probably will. Hear they donít leak if you use good silicone adhesive.
Cal
Thanks. I was not planning on putting in the access panels. I tried to keep everything reachable from underneath and to be able to disconnect with one hand. Although, looking at it now, I think i will have to pull two boxes when it comes time to rivet the top skin on; I might still relocate those since I have enough service loop in the harness.

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go