Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanstory View Post
First flew north for about an hour just to exercise the plane. Then came home and finish my cornhole board project. Fun game to play when hanging out. Was pretty happy with how they turned out.
Those are really cool. I'm going to copy that idea. Oh great... another project!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:56 PM

Default Expensive Free Flight

I was finally able to connect with Beau this weekend and get him up for his first RV flight. It took a while between condition inspection, weather, and work, but we persevered. The standard compliment of maneuvers, a few landings, and he was hooked. Yep, another RV grin.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanstory View Post
First flew north for about an hour just to exercise the plane. Then came home and finish my cornhole board project. Fun game to play when hanging out. Was pretty happy with how they turned out.
Randy, those look great! Are those vinyl graphics? If so, do you reckon that your sign shop still has the files, so they could cut me a set? IE: to copy that great work?

Those are awesome!

Thanks.....

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skylane 182
* Hoping Vans decides to offer a bush plane, before I order something else! **EDIT**: got tired of waiting, and bought a '46 J3 Cub!
Old 06-15-2021, 02:04 PM

Default The Man, The Myth, The Legend

A neighbor at my home/airpark (50F) bought a Cub and was having it delivered this past weekend. It's ironic that my neighbor flies F-16's for a living, but is having to get his T/W endorsement for the Cub. Met the fella who was delivering the new Cub, from Alabama. He told me he also flew an RV-8. I asked him if he was ever on these forums, and he just grinned. He'd told me his name was Dan, but I didn't catch the 'Horton' part. We got a good laugh out of that:

* Hoping Vans decides to offer a bush plane, before I order something else! **EDIT**: got tired of waiting, and bought a '46 J3 Cub!

Last edited by txaviator : 06-15-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaviator View Post
Are those vinyl graphics? If so, do you reckon that your sign shop still has the files, so they could cut me a set?

Thanks.....
The only vinyl are the numbers. Got those off Amazon along with hole light and score board.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BNBFZQ...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CNDJ9ZH...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7SRCQJ...roduct_details

The rest was masked off and painted with rattle can enamel. I just used a thin string taped to middle of top to get the "perspective" right. Did the edges, center lines, and threshold markings that way. Glad you liked them. Here's more pics after lights and magnetic score board was added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3264.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	607.5 KB
ID:	12645  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3266.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	652.3 KB
ID:	12646  
2021 Oshkosh Bronze Lindy

1st Flight 08/20/2020
Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 06-15-2021, 02:51 PM

Default Randy....

Thanks for the follow-up info. So on the bases themselves: looks like you just welded up some thin gauge steel?

Old 06-15-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaviator View Post
Thanks for the follow-up info. So on the bases themselves: looks like you just welded up some thin gauge steel?
No steel. Just 2x4's and 3/4" plywood and enamel paint topped with water based polyurethane. Since 2x4's are over $7.50 each, may be cheaper to build out of gold or silver.
2021 Oshkosh Bronze Lindy

1st Flight 08/20/2020
Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 06-15-2021, 10:19 PM

Finished my long weekend with my favorite lil’ dude who demanded to fly home with me. He’s been RV flying most of his life, bottles and carriers to boosters and sippy cups. Last year I had to set him on the wing walk so he can get in/out himself. Several months ago he passed his entry/egress checkride from the ground and has been solo’ing in and out of the airplane without incident.

I’ld finished things up and was ready to push the airplane out of the hangar when I found him here, casually perched on the slider rail with 1 foot swinging. Ready to kick the tires and light the fires......That’s my Boy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F9B9647A-179F-4492-B4B2-4D58266F2DAE.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	12665  
Old 06-16-2021, 07:12 AM

Thanks Gary. Every weekend is an RV weekend, because the the Ramp Vermin are everywhere! Please tell the 50F gang I truly appreciate the hospitality.

Got an RV lunch destination for the gang...can't live on BBQ alone. Try Bulldog Pizza, 603 E Broadway St, Jefferson, east Texas (24F, Cypress River Airport).

Toward sundown Saturday evening I was checking out small towns for a place to spend the night. Easy to do in a Cub; quick circle to eyeball for a hotel, a sideslip into the airport to scout for a courtesy car. Some guys at Vivian said "Oh yeah, you wanna go to Jefferson, they got good food", so off I went.

At 24F a little fellow was pushing a 172 away from the gas pumps. Struck up a conversation, and quick as a wink, the Cub was tucked into his hangar. Meet Hamid, long-time Jefferson resident and Bulldog's owner.

24F has a good car for pilots (yep, got a cop motor, cop brakes, and cop suspension), and Hamid's place is easy to find, straight up the main drag until the street makes a shape bend to the left. It's right there. Food was very good, and the menu was a lot more than just pizza.

Here's the fun part. Like so many of us, Hamid always wanted to learn to fly. So, about 18 months ago he bought a 172, then built a very nice hangar...100% all in, with a fresh student pilot ticket in hand. Covid really slowed the process, but he recently soloed, and is obviously enthused to the max. So, here's my bet...if a bunch of pilots walk in to Bulldog and tell Hamid they came to eat because they heard he was a super nice guy (he is) and a new pilot, you'll be treated very well indeed.

Got him out to the airport Sunday before heading on to 50F, for his first Cub ride, doors open on a beautiful morning.

I love airplane people...
-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210613_090853864.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	12668  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulldog Pizza.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	12669  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210613_093924557.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	12670  
Old 06-16-2021, 09:27 AM

Dan I’d never seen your photo so now you can never be incognito going forward. Thank you for your very elevated engineering posts over the years. HR

PS my professional goal is: never have my name attached to a personal image:-)

Last edited by hrhodes2@comcast.net : 06-16-2021 at 09:32 AM.