Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Electrical Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2021, 06:49 AM

Big aerospace always uses layout boards, but then they are making many aircraft at a time. If you know the lengths of all the spurs why not, but you probably don't so its much more difficult to get it right on a layout board. Accepting there is likely to be some changes when the harness meets the airframe it is certainly a good starting point.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:44 AM

I did the fuse harness for my RV14 on a board in the house. It was convenient and tidy. But I had the benefit of the excellent drawing that showed all the proper lengths for everything and it was somewhat cookbook. For the 8 I don't have that sort of great drawing, so I'll be doing the fuse and wing wiring on the fly. For the panel on the 14 I would make up one wire that was long enough, add for service, and then wrote down that length for that connection between boxes. Every time I needed a connection for that pair I would use that length. I used tie wraps for loose organization, cutting them off if the bundle got too big and just using another at that point; throwaway tools. At the end I laced it all in place which was a little awkward sometimes but I'm pretty good at knots and tight spaces.

Came out great. So if you know all the dimensions go for it. But it can be done beautifully on the plane too.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:15 PM

Update: I don't hate my life yet, but so far everything's still on the table. I did a tape layout sorta like in leok's thread, and for the past couple days I've been stringing wires. To be honest, I'm really enjoying this work; it's satisfying in general, and all the grunt work I put into detailed schematics, layouts, and such means that this part is almost dirt simple.

I'm hoping to have all the wires laid in by this weekend, at which point I'll get to figure out how to bundle everything so I can try to coax it into the fuselage. If there's a point where this will become a lot less fun, that'll probably be it...

But for now...still fun!

Old 04-22-2021, 05:56 PM

I remember walking by a layout board in the BAE factory when I was doing my Avro type in Woodford. I thought...that doesn't look fun.

Maybe when you get to own fly the product it's different.
2019-2021 Dues Paid
Old 04-22-2021, 08:23 PM

Somewhere between 2005 and 2010 I was in a factory in Rockford, IL, working on some computer systems. They showed me a very large bunch of racks, all folded together, that had all of the wire runs for the Boeing 787. Don't really remember too much, I only got a short look at it and absolutely no pictures, but it was kind of neat. Figured the wire runs would look somewhat like an airplane, you know, a fuselage run, perpendicular wing runs, etc. but these were in metal frames on wheels that looked like they would open up and all of the wire lengths and gauges were run on these.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:58 PM

Great idea ,, father in-law retired from Ford was in quality control so he did many plant visits , remember a plant that did wiring harnesses he showed me pictures of they had this exact process , great idea thanks for sharing the photos ,,
Old 04-23-2021, 08:51 PM

This is a lot of stinkin' wire. But it's getting pretty close to being complete, at least in terms of wire being laid down. I've worked my way "inward" to the "borders" of the panel harness itself. Next up will be adding power/ground runs to the panel components, getting the EMS-FWF runs, and finally all the inter-panel type stuff.

I think I have a fighting chance at having it all laid out tomorrow. Then comes the real fun, 1) QCing the branches to make sure I didn't miss anything, 2) figuring out what I do and don't want to permanently lace on the table, 3) figuring out how to bundle the stuff I don't want to lace, and 4) maneuvering this strange python-like contraption into the actual aircraft.

Oh by the way, I'm still having fun. Things haven't been as cut-and-dry the past day or two, but the number of decisions I've had to make have been minimal. Another endorsement for doing lots of planning up front.

Anyway...hey, wire photos!

When I lived in Atlanta, there was one big interchange (I-285 and I-85) that was locally known as Spaghetti Junction. I suspect there are probably other cities that have something similar, maybe with the same name. Anyway, here's the Spaghetti Junction of my harness. Can't wait to see how fat this bundle is going to be when it's laced up:

Old 04-24-2021, 05:04 AM

How'd you decide on wire colors? I see red, white and black there. I assumed green or black would be for grounds, but you haven't run those yet. Just wondering about how you thought about it.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.hutchison View Post
How'd you decide on wire colors? I see red, white and black there. I assumed green or black would be for grounds, but you haven't run those yet. Just wondering about how you thought about it.
You're on the right track, I may just have been unclear about the current state. Early on I chose to use red for power runs, black for grounds, and white for everything else. Sort of a compromise between "everything's white" and a full-fledges color-coding scheme.

The one slight exception I made to this was for the Skyview network cables I'm fabricating; I did decide to go with green and blue for the twisted data pairs there, just to maintain some sort of consistency with the factory color coding.

You're seeing red and black in there because I've already done a bunch of power/ground runs; the only ones remaining are those to actual panel components (Skyview displays, com radio, etc).
Old 04-25-2021, 09:58 PM

Whew. Got all the wire laid in as of today (with the exception of two small parts, for which I'll get materials in tomorrow). Which meant it was time to start dong some cable lacing. Not quite sure how much of this I'll do on the bench vs. in the plane, but this particular branch will be in the gear tower, so it's pretty much now or never.

It sure is satisfying starting to turn those piles of wire into nice bundles.