What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Engine

cbnank

I am starting to work on my firewall forward. In looking at my Superior IO-360 engine trying to identify all the ports, I find it very difficult without an engine manual. They did not send me any type of engine manual or Pilot Information Manual.

Is this normal practice? While looking at my Dynon installation manual, it refers frequently to "See the manual supplied by the engine manufacturer". No such manual arrived with my engine.

I am having real difficulty trying to determine what goes where.

cbnank said:
I am starting to work on my firewall forward. In looking at my Superior IO-360 engine trying to identify all the ports, I find it very difficult without an engine manual. They did not send me any type of engine manual or Pilot Information Manual.

Is this normal practice? While looking at my Dynon installation manual, it refers frequently to "See the manual supplied by the engine manufacturer". No such manual arrived with my engine.

I am having real difficulty trying to determine what goes where.

I will never understand why this is.
As much as these engines cost, FULL documentation and maintenance information should be eagerly provided.

Doesn't the manufacturer want to see his product operated and maintained properly....if nothing else...just to protect reputation and minimize liability exposure (or maybe that's why it's not provided?)?
It's incredible to me........but I'm relatively new in aviation. Sheesh! You get instructions with a $25 \Timex watch!

I bought a new Lycoming AEIO-390. Nothing came with it except the test cell documentation.
The entire crew, at Barret Performance Engines, my engine supplier, helped me get together what I needed for safe and proper operation and maintenance.
There's not even a manual for the 390. I understand one is being made.
When available, they should insure every 390 purchaser receives one, free of charge.

Maybe there's a valid reason, from the engine manufacturer's point of view, that things are done this way. From the purchaser's point of view, I think it's outrageous!

Superior Engines

Just an oversight on their part.
A few months back,
I purchased XPIO-360, F.I, CS, Received all documents (manuals)
with engine delivery.
Give them a call, they are good people to deal with.

Bill Souza
RV-7A, 70% complete
N279RB (Reserved)
Accurate Machine Co.
Lancaster, CA.

I received a complete service/maintenance loose leaf binder for my XP-IO-360. They also included a maintenance logbook, test cell spreadsheets of my engine and performance charts.

Talk to Bill Peterson, he'll make sure you get what you need.

Thanks Gill. I did receive your engine diagrams today & they will help. I would like the get the full documentation like Dan Landry received.

I did call this morning and this afternoon and left a message with two different customer service people, so far no one returned my calls. I am not blasting them yet, they may call back tomorrow. If not I will call Bill.

Thanks for all your help.

I will be fiberglassing my tip up canopy this week.

Bill Peterson and Brent are out of the office this week. Try Pete or Dena (x4627). They should be able to assist you.

Thanks guys,

I talked to Deana today and she was very helpful. She was out yesterday. She pointed me to the certified VANTAGE engine on their website. I was able to download three manuals that look like they are what I wanted. It even includes an overhaul manual.

Thanks to all, especially to Gill who sent me several emails with appropiate pictures.

What a great website with very helpful people.

Thanks again.

Wow, talk about a giant brain fart! As a recent recipient of an XP360, I've been following this thread with great interest. I was about to call them and request a manual, but the last post reminded me that I was told exactly the same thing at the end of build school -- that the Vantage manual is online. I'm getting old.

Yes, the Installation & Operating manual seems to have the pilot operating handbook included. On skimming, it seems very complete.

I note it was dated 2004!

Thanks to all who were helpful.

Back