VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   International (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Stack ‘em Up (...RVs) (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=194231)

JoopSJ 04-12-2021 03:28 AM

Hi Dan,

We have the same problem in The Netherlands. We also “hang” them.
But I never saw the sliding system before. Being able to raise and lower the aircraft without moving those below is a big plus.
AVGAS is 13 USD/USG here! X-country landing €20. Local landing €12. If you make 10 touch and go’s you pay 10 landings!

But OK, we have unlimited healthcare for all! :)

David Z 04-12-2021 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv8ch (Post 1517400)
That's why Europeans invented the liter - makes paying for gas less painful! :D

The bill at the end is the same. In a past life, I'd pull up to the self serve pumps in a Piper Navajo at 2+ per liter. Total bill was easily over $1000 if flying a long way. Over $300/hr just in fuel, good thing my boss paid the bill.

donaziza 04-12-2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Z (Post 1517415)
The bill at the end is the same. In a past life, I'd pull up to the self serve pumps in a Piper Navajo at 2+ per liter. Total bill was easily over $1000 if flying a long way. Over $300/hr just in fuel, good thing my boss paid the bill.

Ouch, ouch, and OUCH.

YvesCH 04-13-2021 07:04 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I also could only find a spot to "hang" my plane at my local airport. But at least I could skip about 30 people on the waiting list for a "normal" spot. Luckily they all had planes which could not be lifted.

Originally it was a manual winch but I converted it to a electric hoist. Also I`ve installed a charger and sms-switch above the plane so I can remotely switch on the engine heater and charge my plane.

The biggest challenge were the low wheelpants, I had to weld new lifting-pieces as the previous plane did not have any wheelpants and thus used another system.

Of course its a bit a pain to bring the plane down as I have to move another plane below, but I am currently paying quite a low price and there is no chance for hangar rush....


As I did not want my airplane hanging permanently on the electric hoist, I made another hook where I can unload the hoist and directly connect the lifting wire.

MacCool 04-13-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 (Post 1517235)
MacCool, actually not too expensive (LSZF is a reasonable place :)), running at around $400/month. But, like on all airports here, landing fees are charged... again ok here, about $10 a landing.
Stray a few miles away, and one could easily pay twice the amount. Or more...

Gas? Today paying CHF2.33 ($2.52 acc. XE) for Avgas, and CHF1.80 ($1.94) for Mogas 98, tax included.
Oh yeah, this is per liter... So for the price per USG, just multiply either by 3.79 :o


Quote:

Originally Posted by JoopSJ (Post 1517402)
Hi Dan,

We have the same problem in The Netherlands. We also “hang” them.
But I never saw the sliding system before. Being able to raise and lower the aircraft without moving those below is a big plus.
AVGAS is 13 USD/USG here! X-country landing €20. Local landing €12. If you make 10 touch and go’s you pay 10 landings!

But OK, we have unlimited healthcare for all! :)

Wow! That amount of money represents a serious commitment to aviation! I admire your passion. Looks like you're paying more to fly than I pay for health care insurance. ;)

Dan 57 04-14-2021 10:10 AM

donaziza, on your request:

https://youtu.be/d4d2aI0W8Ok

woz quite windy today... the whole rig can extend more, and doesn't normally dance that much :D

scsmith 04-14-2021 12:15 PM

When I pick up my tailwheel with a grunt because it is so heavy, I would be really concerned about lifting the back end of the airplane with a sling under the belly, which would 'feel' even more weight. I guess if you are really sure you have the strap at a bulkhead, it can probably take that load, even though not designed to.

The yellow 'shoe' under the tire of the RV-8 makes sense. On the others, how is the lifting cable attached to the landing gear? For an airplane where the gear are under the wing, I guess the platform is the best solution.

Dan 57 04-14-2021 02:00 PM

Thanks for your comments Steve. We have quite a few of our RVs just supported by a strap at the rear, and yes, one thing is to make sure that it is positioned on a bulkhead. On the mains we have hoisting straps, such as the one fitted to the -8 in the picture below. Almost no weight gain, little modification to the aircraft, and still giving you full maintainability of wheels/brakes and other under belly stuff.



Yes, for the A series a platform is almost necessary... though the -14A depicted sports threaded lugs on the upper engine mounts, and a transversal tube riveted in the aft fuselage, just below the upper longerons.

scsmith 04-14-2021 02:43 PM

Ah, the lifting lugs look good. Nice to be able to pull a wheel off too! (can't do that with the 'shoe' type).

YvesCH 04-15-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 (Post 1518015)
Thanks for your comments Steve. We have quite a few of our RVs just supported by a strap at the rear, and yes, one thing is to make sure that it is positioned on a bulkhead. On the mains we have hoisting straps, such as the one fitted to the -8 in the picture below. Almost no weight gain, little modification to the aircraft, and still giving you full maintainability of wheels/brakes and other under belly stuff.



Yes, for the A series a platform is almost necessary... though the -14A depicted sports threaded lugs on the upper engine mounts, and a transversal tube riveted in the aft fuselage, just below the upper longerons.

Is this the RV-8 of Anton? looks good!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.