VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   International (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Stack ‘em Up (...RVs) (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=194231)

Dan 57 04-11-2021 04:25 AM

Stack ‘em Up (...RVs)

A teacher of mine told me once, too many years ago, that the country I live in has the shape of a cowpat. Centered on the old continent, but not really part of Europe politically speaking. Overcrowed and overbuilt. Luckily the Alps are within 10’ RV flying time and still offer a refreshing, interesting, and challenging playground. Mountainous area flying rule #1, never loose respect…

We are lucky to still have quite a few nice GA fields, either grass or concrete, and I’m located on one of the busiest of them, Birrfeld LSZF, some 20km W of the biggest city in the country, Zurich.
Owning an aircraft is one thing over here, finding hangar space could be very difficult up to a couple of years ago. In view of the declining number of active pilots, some recession, and the youngest generation spending most of their time either in front of their cell phone or computer screen… pardon me, I digress :o

So, we started hanging ‘em RVs, and others. Latest hangars on the field were built with an elevated roof to permit the installation of hangers. Having one’s RV hanging offers several benefits such as no hangar rash, theft protection, and, depending if on a platform or not, an easy way to perform landing gear or other under belly maintenance. Servicing the tailwheel or replacing the brakes almost becomes a pleasure when able to alter the working height at will :)
The downside is having to keep that belly clean and shiny, lest being open to any critical remarks of your peers :D

The hoists provided at LSZF are either of the belt or chain driven type. One has then two options as to how to tie his beauty off the hanger, either “free hanging”, or by using a platform. Each has its pros and cons. One big plus is that all the hoist assies have the ability to slide on their rail and travel far enough out of the hangar to permit lowering one’s ship without having to move another one. Open the doors, push on the remote’s buttons, achieve the softest landing you’ll ever make, untie, stow the hoist, close the doors, go enjoy yourself.

Below some shots to illustrate the above. Looks cramped, but all works pretty good, and we are all very happy with our hangers :cool:

Dan 57 04-11-2021 04:40 AM

BH1166 04-11-2021 06:06 AM

Nice

So straps or platform for hanging? Very smart ! Thanks for sharing.

BillL 04-11-2021 06:44 AM

Clever solution to a constrained situation, and applicable for an expansion of one. Two story hangars with elevators? Too much capital?

I am feeling kind lucky. But here in the US it seems economics is the limitation for new hangars to be built, not available plan area. Odd there there are so many hangar-lean airports across our country. Ripe opportunity for an investment group?

MacCool 04-11-2021 06:53 AM

That’s really interesting. What that kind of hangar space cost there?

Dan 57 04-11-2021 08:47 AM

MacCool, actually not too expensive (LSZF is a reasonable place :)), running at around $400/month. But, like on all airports here, landing fees are charged... again ok here, about $10 a landing.
Stray a few miles away, and one could easily pay twice the amount. Or more...

Gas? Today paying CHF2.33 ($2.52 acc. XE) for Avgas, and CHF1.80 ($1.94) for Mogas 98, tax included.
Oh yeah, this is per liter... So for the price per USG, just multiply either by 3.79 :o

Desert Rat 04-11-2021 08:59 AM

Thats really cool. Thanks for sharing.

I used to live in Geneva, where they stack living accommodations in approximately the same way :)

rv8ch 04-11-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 (Post 1517182)
... One big plus is that all the hoist assies have the ability to slide on their rail and travel far enough out of the hangar to permit lowering one’s ship without having to move another one. Open the doors, push on the remote’s buttons, achieve the softest landing you’ll ever make, untie, stow the hoist, close the doors, go enjoy yourself. ...

Dan - I've seen these at Birrfeld for about 20 years but I've never seen one in action - I didn't realize that you don't have to move the aircraft under you - that's really cool! Thanks for sharing these photos.

donaziza 04-11-2021 09:51 PM

Ok, you've teased us----now you gotta make a video of either lowering the plane outside the hangar, or raising it up.:D (pushing $10 a gallon for gas?? OUCH:eek:

rv8ch 04-12-2021 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donaziza (Post 1517388)
Ok, you've teased us----now you gotta make a video of either lowering the plane outside the hangar, or raising it up.:D (pushing $10 a gallon for gas?? OUCH:eek:

That's why Europeans invented the liter - makes paying for gas less painful! :D