VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   My RV Build Project (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   RV-6A Very Slow Build, Western Australia (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=180004)

PaulvS 02-29-2020 08:25 PM

RV-6A Very Slow Build, Western Australia
 
A younger version of me started this slow build RV-6A just after Oshkosh '92. I completed the empennage and wings in my spare time and got started on the fuselage. Then other things in life took priority and the RV project went on hold for 21 years.

We've moved house a few times and the fuselage frame had to come out of the jig for the most recent shift. I'm now getting the workshop organised and ready to start building again.

Back in '92 there were only three RV models to choose from. And Van's was just talking about quick build kits. The plans are hand drawn and the only factory made holes were in the wing spar. The new kits look way easier and it would probably be quicker to assemble a new project than to finish this old one, but I kinda like this orphan relic from the 90's!




C-GRVT 02-29-2020 08:56 PM

will be a great aircraft
 
I'm close to completion of a similar vintage RV-6A in Ottawa, Canada, find having done a non-prepunched kit a very satisfying experience. Like the look of the smaller tail than the 7. Easy to incorporate a few of the improvements that the 7 has; the firewall mounted Odyssey battery, the fuel pump center tunnel, a 7 style instrument panel without the vertical brace.
Enjoy.
Bill Brooks

KayS 03-01-2020 05:22 AM

that's a cool story! get her done! my projekt was sitting at a farm for 7 years and now she's at the final inspection for first flight.

nice thing about RV pojects is that you can let them abandond for years or decades and then start again when life allows it. i did that and it wasn't a big deal.

Jpm757 03-01-2020 06:25 AM

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle! I finished an early slow build -6 in 1991, it was an enjoyable experience. Just curious, your photo shows the forward part of the fuselage, but no longerons? The very first step in the slow build fuselage was to bend the longerons and clamp them to the jig. Am I missing something?
Good Luck with the build!

PaulvS 03-01-2020 07:05 AM

Longerons
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpm757 (Post 1411375)
Glad to hear you are back in the saddle! I finished an early slow build -6 in 1991, it was an enjoyable experience. Just curious, your photo shows the forward part of the fuselage, but no longerons? The very first step in the slow build fuselage was to bend the longerons and clamp them to the jig. Am I missing something?
Good Luck with the build!

Thanks! The longerons were originally bent and clamped in the jig but I took everything off for transport, including the rest of the bulkheads and J stringers to the tail end. It all needs to go back into the jig now and get realigned. There is also still some priming to do before I can begin riveting together the frame. The forward part of the fuselage was easy enough to transport as a clecoed sub-assembly.

Larco 03-01-2020 07:48 AM

Not sure what vintage finishing kit you have but would recommend installing overhead rudder pedals if you have the floor mount style. They changed over sometime back in the early 90s late 80s to the overhead style, (much better). Also the top of the firewall was tipped out some at the top for better cowling fitment. This required different upper forward ribs. Just a couple of thoughts to throw in there. I happen to have built our 6 around that time frame and remember those changes. :-) Happy to see you get going.

billnaz 03-01-2020 06:49 PM

Get the updated instructions
 
If you haven?t done it yet you will be amazed at the level of detail in the current plans/details. And if you order any kit parts the prepunched and CNC cuts will blow your mind.

PaulvS 03-01-2020 07:38 PM

Kit vintage
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larco (Post 1411386)
Not sure what vintage finishing kit you have but would recommend installing overhead rudder pedals if you have the floor mount style. They changed over sometime back in the early 90s late 80s to the overhead style, (much better). Also the top of the firewall was tipped out some at the top for better cowling fitment. This required different upper forward ribs. Just a couple of thoughts to throw in there. I happen to have built our 6 around that time frame and remember those changes. :-) Happy to see you get going.

The finishing kit shipped in 2000 so I have the overhead rudder pedals (but not yet the revised nose gear leg and fork). The empennage kit shipped in 1992, and the wing+fuselage in 1993. It looks like the firewall top got tipped forward in 1994, so I will need to order or fabricate the revised upper forward ribs. I will also probably need to check that the top skin is the right size. Thanks for those thoughts.

PaulvS 03-01-2020 07:55 PM

Updated plans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by billnaz (Post 1411502)
If you haven?t done it yet you will be amazed at the level of detail in the current plans/details. And if you order any kit parts the prepunched and CNC cuts will blow your mind.

I have seen the instructions for the RV-14 and I am amazed, they are light years ahead of what I am using. At present I am needing to jump between about 10 different hand drawn sheets to check off the fuselage structure.

I got the plans CD for the RV-6, which has all the drawing revisions incorporated, so that is a help.

The Vans construction manual for the fuselage is not very easy to follow so I have used the Frank Justice manual. I found the wings and empennage to be much easier, the fuselage seems considerably more complicated!

elev666 03-01-2020 08:27 PM

Been there
 
Have scars from my time building a non pre punched 6 , bought the empennage in 94 as well ,,, took until 2016 before she was ready to fly but have had 200 hrs of pure joy flying her so far! If you try and get some deals by shopping for panel parts , props Etc here it makes our poor currency is a little more palatable , Stay the course brother ! How does that go ,,, it?s not the destination but the journey ;).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.