VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   vinyl wrap (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=187568)

Flash 10-05-2020 08:56 PM

vinyl wrap

Anyone know of any vinyl wrap companies that are still wrapping planes? I searched the forums and called/emailed all of the named companies and yet to hear one response. Looking to get a quote on my RV8. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Flash

AlpineYoda 10-05-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 1467466)
Anyone know of any vinyl wrap companies that are still wrapping planes? I searched the forums and called/emailed all of the named companies and yet to hear one response. Looking to get a quote on my RV8. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Flash

Maybe consider doing it yourself? Even if you have to replace a few pieces, thatís cheaper than hiring someone. There are lots of threads here and videos on YouTube about how to do it.

Iím planning to use vinyl. Never did it before. But I also never riveted before. Or sanded carbon fiber. So, lots of new skills to learn!

fixnflyguy 10-06-2020 04:22 AM

I know a guy

My next door hangar neighbor does wraps, although he doesn't do a bunch. His business is more signs and logos, ect. I saw a -9A he did with 100% 3 color coverage here in NC that I had to double take on to validate it was vinyl. He also trimmed out his Zenith and several RV's. Really looks good, wheel pants and all. I could probably get you in touch with him about details if your interested.

Flash 10-06-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpineYoda (Post 1467490)
Maybe consider doing it yourself? Even if you have to replace a few pieces, thatís cheaper than hiring someone. There are lots of threads here and videos on YouTube about how to do it.

Iím planning to use vinyl. Never did it before. But I also never riveted before. Or sanded carbon fiber. So, lots of new skills to learn!

Thanks, I am looking into it. Not 100% sure I want to do vinyl so was looking for quotes to see the overall cost.

Flash 10-06-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixnflyguy (Post 1467501)
My next door hangar neighbor does wraps, although he doesn't do a bunch. His business is more signs and logos, ect. I saw a -9A he did with 100% 3 color coverage here in NC that I had to double take on to validate it was vinyl. He also trimmed out his Zenith and several RV's. Really looks good, wheel pants and all. I could probably get you in touch with him about details if your interested.

Thanks for the offer! PM sent

rvator4twa 10-07-2020 06:38 AM

Vinyl wrap

Just had the unpainted portion of my RV6A wrapped. My painter said it looks better than silver paint would have. You may need to find someone that does vehicles and be their first. I was their second. I havenít flown it yet as I am changing over from EFII to the new system 32 upgrade, doing conditions inspection and I wasted unneeded effort of removing flight controls.

Flash 10-07-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvator4twa (Post 1467803)
Just had the unpainted portion of my RV6A wrapped. My painter said it looks better than silver paint would have. You may need to find someone that does vehicles and be their first. I was their second. I havenít flown it yet as I am changing over from EFII to the new system 32 upgrade, doing conditions inspection and I wasted unneeded effort of removing flight controls.

Great advice! Thanks

TraderDoc52 11-02-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 1467466)
Flash

Had same experience with no reply from 3 supposed airplane wrap companies. Contacted TNJ engravers in Kerrville who said they would do it. They do cars but haven’t done any airplanes but we’re willing. Still waiting on a quote. I may do it myself. Considering doing invasion strips on the wings for a trial and if it works I may do whole plane. 3M makes vinyl wrap as well rvinyl. Cost starts at about $6 a square foot for material. 3M quality vinyl about $16 sq ft

steve murray 11-02-2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraderDoc52 (Post 1474627)
3M makes vinyl wrap as well rvinyl. Cost starts at about $6 a square foot for material. 3M quality vinyl about $16 sq ft

I just finished vinyl wrapping my RV10, try "Metrostyling.com" for 3M vinyl, it is about $3 sq-ft for 3M 2080 Gloss (multiple colors) 5' x 60" piece is just under $60.

Steve

jssaylor2007 11-02-2020 07:43 PM

So what's the consensus on wrapping vs painting? Do most people wrap or vice-versa?