What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 2.16.2024

Returning to the land of the living post-check ride. Many dozens of items to do, and it’ll take some time (but I’ll get there). Wishing you and yours, a happy, safe, and RV filled weekend.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

What is "normal" fuel pressure (carbureted)? …ken pilot PIREP
“When I say "fluctuating", this is what I mean. It's just a gentle change periodically, not pulsing.”
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 2.21.10 PM.png

Request borescope interpretation
I recently started my 29th Condition Inspection on my RV-4 and found interesting images while bore scoping cylinder # 3. These radial lines are present all around except for the lower quarter where normal crosshatching is found. They stop short of top of piston travel.
Oil consumption is 1 quart in 7 or 8 hours and compression is mid 70s except for number 3 which is 66/80. I’m suspecting a broken oil control ring, but there has been no change in oil consumption and the combustion chamber isn’t particularly oily. The parallel O-360 A1A has only 172 hours SMOH on new cylinders. I hesitate to pull a cylinder if not necessary. Has anyone seen this condition before and is it something to be concerned about? Any insight is appreciated. I apologize for image quality. They are iPhone pictures of my borescope screen.
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 2.22.13 PM.png

Houston area monthly lunch (February 2023)
Well, weather this weekend looks so-so, but we're due for a driveable lunch at Hooks...so let's make it happen.
When: Saturday, 2-17, 11:30 AM
Where: Aviator's Grill at Hooks (KDWH)
Had some thing about the VAF list

Flap Actuator Stroke Length?
…more images
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 2.23.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 2.24.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 2.24.53 PM.png

Clearcoat+Decal adhesion if paint is Single Stage?
I did a DIY rattlecan paintjob on my canopy skirt am considering this method on the whole plane. It is a single-stage epoxy high gloss. I did the wet-sand, cut-buff and polish. After curing it a couple months, I designed and made some vinyl decals on a Cricut machine and applied them. I think there is a good chance that some of the smaller letters would not survive the airflow in flight. Short of making a large printed decal instead, does anyone have any recommendations for a good clear or sealant to make small vinyl letters more likely to stay on? (I am concerned about the coating creating some kind of clouding or discoloration) I am a novice painter so my painting/coating product knowledge is limited.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 2.09.32 PM.png

Van's is Hiring - Engineering and Prototype Shop Positions
We're hiring, and have open positions in our Engineering department and prototype shop. If you know an engineer or mechanic who might be interested, please forward this to them.
* Our Engineering team seeks a Sustaining Engineer to help drive ongoing support for the RV fleet, as well as an Engineering Drafter with talent and experience in modeling and CAD software, including Solidworks.
* If you're an A&P mechanic and/or experienced RV builder, take a look at the two technician/mechanic positions in our Prototype Shop, where you'd help maintain the RV demo fleet and contribute to the future of the company and its designs.
Please check out the job postings at https://www.vansaircraft.com/careers/ - and thanks!

Trimming CB-00006 number 2 baffle for EXP-119
I started by placing a small washer between the baffle and cylinder to allow cooling air to get into the lower fins. On my RV-7 that helped a little. I then trimmed about 1/2" - 5/8" off the top of the baffle. My #2 is cylinder is now in line with the other cylinders and normally the coolest by a few degrees. I also have moved my cooler behind # 3 and only take the cabin heat of the original rear baffle. That also helped. Just do a smaller cut and test the cooling. I used a scrap piece of steel between the baffle and cylinder while cutting with a Dremel.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 4.11.15 PM.png

FS: New 78-inch, 3-blade MT Propeller for RV-10 (IO-540)
(From Factory)
We had a cancellation, so available to ship immediately from MT's factory is one brand new, just manufactured, 78-inch, three-blade propeller for the IO-540/RV-10, model MTV9B/198-52. This prop comes in white with red tips.
Price is $18,750 which includes shipping from the MT factory to your selected MT assembly/service center location within the USA or Canada. The cost of shipping from the assembly center to you (if applicable) is additional and will be arranged between you and the assembly center that you choose. If you want to purchase this, you'll need two make the payment in full and it will ship within days.
If you are interested in this propeller, please send an email to [email protected].

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 2.17.01 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back