What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 1.18.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

Hope you enjoy.
v/r,dr

THINGS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
-----------------
RV Grin ...A W Foltz
My best friend with 4 legs loves to go in anything with 4 wheels and I wanted to try him out in the RV8. For safety I removed the rear seat stick and tethered him enough that he could move to look out or lay down but not much more. No overt excitement on take off or straight and level. I would look back at him and he would alternate between looking out and laying down....no whining, barking, barfing or trying to get in front with me. So next I exposed him to a roll. A big, slow, positive G barrel roll ala Bob Hoover. He was laying down at the start and the same at the end. As the picture shows, back on the ground, he had the RV grin big time! So, he is good to go but I always take the stick out and strap him down enough to keep him on the seat.
VAFDR_ 81 Jan. 18.jpg

Page 11-06 Final drill which 4 holes? ...-14
VAFDR_ 82 Jan. 18.jpg

The Daily RV pic thread has kinda blown up, now that it's so easy to upload a picture.
VAFDR_ 76 Jan. 17.jpg
VAFDR_ 75 Jan. 17.jpg

From 'What did you do last weekend' thread....Greg Arehart
First time out for 2024. Mt. Olympus on the Olympic Peninsula with Mt. Baker (N of Seattle) in the background right.
VAFDR_ 78 Jan. 18.jpg

Tire Vibration Update ...jbeiler2
Thank you to everyone who offered help with this issue. First, I increased both mains to 50psi and flew it. It was much improved, I'd say by at least 50% better. Next I bought a motorcycle tire balancer from Harbor Freight. After fabricating some adaptors because the centering cones it comes with weren't large enough in diameter, I balance both tires. Left was out 1/2 oz and the right was out 1 oz. I thinks that a lot for such a small tire. I thought for sure that would make it completely smooth but, alas, it didn't improve any further. It is at least now fairly benign with keeping 50psi in it. I'll fly it that way for now until the next time I have the leg fairings off and then I'll add the dampers that rjk921 suggested and provided a great article on.

Tach input to G3X from PMAG...Webb
VAFDR_ 79 Jan. 18.jpg

#3 Break In...Manchu16
About 10 hours Hobbs, No tach timer, on the new #3. Estimating about .5-.75 have been on the ground in-between flights and doing the ground testing prior to return to flight. Used just about 1QT over that time. Before the issues started I was about 1 QT per 7 hours. So I am not sure I am going to get any better than 1 QT every 10 or so. CHTs on #3 are still slightly elevated, but #3 was normally the hottest cylinder before the overhaul. So that just may be a difference in the sealing of the baffles or I could still be breaking it in.
My plan is to pull the filter, K&P S-15, this weekend and look for any metal. If it looks clean I am going to continue to run the engine as is on this oil until my condition inspection in late Feb, probably another 10 hours or so of Hobbs time. At my CI, I will drain the oil, check the screens, clean the filter,... and refill with the Phillips 20/50 XC I have been using for break in. That will get me to about 40 - 45 hours total on the 20/50 before my next oil change. Plan on going back to Phillips Victory 100 after that.
I have read, stick with break in oil until the temps and oil burn stabilizes, 50 hours is the minimum you need to stay with break in oil, AD oil is bad for break ins,.... All the different documents from the different sources really makes it confusing when you go through this process. The shop that did the cylinder overhaul recommended that I wait until the 10 hr oil check then ok to top off with Victory 100 when I run out of the XC oil. Rationale was the low compression O-320 (150 HP) engines break in very quickly with the superior cylinders.

Sniffle valve placement ...Djgeib
VAFDR_ 80 Jan. 18.jpg

ShawnR's RV-4 Build Update
The fun continues. (Not sarcastically...it is way more fun putting things back together than taking them apart!) I assembled a small paint booth to try to control some of the overspray in the shop. It helps a lot.
VAFDR_ 83 Jan. 18.jpg

And this issue's Off Topic:
IMG_4801.JPEG

Last edited:
Back