What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News ….4.10.2024

Drove out to the hangar Tue morning for the first time in weeks (bride has an injured foot). Felt nice to just sweep and clean up the hangar for a couple hours. Hard to get out there these days, will get it squared away eventually. Longest annual ever <g>.
Have a nice Wednesday, dr.

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

Did I just ruin my Rudder Spar with smiles?
Sigh... I was squeezing the rivets that attach the K1000-6 nutplates to the Rudder Spar (R-00902-1) on Page 07-05 and must have been getting tired... I now have two smiles in the aluminium.
Have I just ruined it, What do the experts think, will I need to buy another spar? (I'm kicking myself
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 9.03.32 AM.png

Slider roll bar question …AndyWW reply
Apologies for the thread resurrection, but this seems like a good place for my observation/question. I have been studying the drawings (41, 42, 43) very carefully for my RV-7 slider roll-bar installation. I have drilled the #40 pilot holes for the 4 bolts into the aft canopy deck in the positions called out in drawing 42 detail A, and made the C-668 spacers, but haven't drilled the roll bar yet.
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 9.08.36 AM.png

Duplex Fuel Valve / Mounting Plate …TASEsq reply
In the end, I made up a nutplate ring to sit under the valve, and drilled the existing plate to match the nutplate ring. I elongated the forward holes. It’s nice and rigid.
One small thing for anyone doing this change - my valve came with smaller screws (looked like #8). The Van’s instructions got the stock valve use #10, so
I made the nutplate ring with #10 holes and K1000-3 (10/32”) nutplates.
The factory had neglected to clean out the brass swarf from the tapped hole in the stem of the valve, so when I turned it upside down it dropped brass into the bottom of the aeroplane. Something to be careful of I guess.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/duplex-fuel-valve-mounting-plate.225895/post-1760058
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 9.09.59 AM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 9.12.28 AM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back