What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News …….Easter Sunday 2024

Happy Easter everyone! He is Risen!
v/r,dr
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.24.02 AM.png

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————
VAN’S AIRCRAFT CHAPTER 11 REORGANIZATION PLAN FILED

Sniffle valve drain line routing + new style nosegear
Has anyone figured a more clever routing of this aluminum tube? Or tried anything else, like rubber hose all the way back? Ideas? Does Vans publish an updated drawing for the RV-14 and new style nosegear?
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.15.58 AM.png

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (3/30-31/2024).
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.16.41 AM.png

Page 15-02, Figure 3 ….RV-14
I have the pieces to assemble the Left side assembly, but did not receive the Right side versions of W-1013C-LX and W-1013C-R. Are they the same nomenclature and just reversible? Hesitant to order without the correct stock identifier.
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.17.23 AM.png

First Flight …Xkuzme1
I couldn’t be happier with the way it flew
A couple electrical squawks which are easily remedied in an hour.
Takeoff was uneventful. I have an RV-4 which I love, but it’s a delightfully twitchy SOB. The F-4 had no twitchiness around any axis at all. Was both incredibly sold and nimble. I have to say that I was impressed with the overall balance of the plane.
It’s got a 228hp IO-360 with about 3 hours in it. So it I was trying to find a balance of keeping my power up to heat up the engine for break in vs pushing first flight limits.
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.18.58 AM.png

Throttle Mixture Cable Bracket …RV-3
I made my own on my -4, bolts to the sump and is made from a couple different pieces then bolted /riveted together. Made from .063 " stainless steel if I recall.
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.20.30 AM.png

EAA Webinar on RV's - Tuesday 2 April
Tuesday night there is an EAA Webinar on RV's with Chris Henry (EAA Museum) and Dick VanG.....Chris sent me a note asking for pictures of the RV-1 because he said they were going to talk about it.

How to fix minor wing trailing edge damage
Let’s say that hypothetically a guy was working to remove the dreaded ski jump trailing edge from a set of older wings. He may have gotten a little exuberant and ended up with one small buckle where he foolishly stretched the skin in the area of the left aileron inboard hinge.
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.21.43 AM.png

Failure Modes for Garmin GSA 28 Servos Installed to Drive 3rd Party Trim Motors
After reading through the G3X installation documentation, it's not clear to me what the behavior of the aircraft trim system would be if the trim motors (e.g., Ray Allen) were installed to be driven by the GSA 28 servos. Garmin states that the trim motor current is limited to 1A when connected through the GSA 28, but it's not explicitly stated if the power is simply passed through from the trim switches. The closest clue I can find is Figure 24-1.10 in the current (version AT) G3X installation manual, which shows 12V applied to the trim switches, but it's unclear whether that power is passed through in the event of a GSA 28 failure.
Thread 'Failure Modes for Garmin GSA 28 Servos Installed to Drive 3rd Party Trim Motors'
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.22.30 AM.png

Van's Aircraft Business Update - March 27th (video)
“An update on operations at Van's Aircraft for late March 2024. Progress in the restructuring is going well, and shipments are going strong for kits, replacement parts, and other orders. We're also working now on publishing lead times for new kit orders, as well as scheduling engine manufacturing slots with Lycoming. In the video, we also address going to Oshkosh, some positions we are hiring here, the status of the RV-15 project, and more. Most importantly, thank you to all of our dedicated and amazing customers. It's been a tough time the past several months, and we're working hard to get kits, parts, engines, props, and more to you. Thank you!”
https://vansairforce.net/threads/vans-aircraft-business-update-march-27th-video.225671/

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 10.27.21 AM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back