What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Homebuilt Tailwheel Tug — Plans? Equip List?

StuBob

Well Known Member
There are several threads here, extending back for years, in which people show photos (or dead PhotoBucket links) of their DIY electric tugs. Replies always devolve into “get a [golf cart, lawn mower, 4-wheeler, etc,]” and “I just used an eBay wheelchair motor and a spare [controller, battery, raspberry pi] I had in the garage.” While some of that is interesting, it doesn’t get this non-engineer to a starting place. So. . . . . …

Do you know of a DIY electric tug option that’ll work with a tailwheel, and for which there are plans and even an equipment list?

TIA

Stu, who knows Ohm’s Law but not a lot more.

There is a good article recently in Kitplanes. I am building a variant of it for my Rearwin which needs about a 3 foot arm to reach the tailwheel. It has very good directions and a parts list with links to sources.
Kitplanes electric tug

Here are some of the components I've assembled from Amazon and eBay over the last 2 weeks.
Tug components.jpg

Last edited:
maybe this idea could be incorporated into a tug . I use my Jeep to bring my plane to the fuel farm .

Attachments

• IMG_7314.jpeg
    IMG_7314.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7313.jpeg
    IMG_7313.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7156.jpeg
    IMG_7156.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7159.jpeg
    IMG_7159.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 114
Do you know of a DIY electric tug option that’ll work with a tailwheel, and for which there are plans and even an equipment list?

I've been distributing LCPs, a parts list, drawings, and a wiring diagram for the dual motor joystick tug. Also have drawings for the very simple tailwheel tug I just did for a buddy, and the equipment list is easy. Link above, post #4. Reinhard's Kitplanes article does a very nice job detailing a more complex tug with pinch arms. Really looks like a hot ticket for the A-model clan.

Key question...can you cut and weld?

Beautiful welds …

Dave, Tom's RV-8 looks like that too. I should get you both to the Social and make an introduction.

Reactions: HFS
IMG_9100.jpeg
IMG_9103.jpeg
IMG_9105.jpeg
I took a three weekend break from my 7 project to build the “Aero Schlepper” to move our 182 in and out of the hanger. The front fork is designed to be flipped so I can someday grab the tailwheel and move my RV-7.

Back