Here's what's new:
  • Mobile friendly (ex: turn your phone from portrait to landscape and watch it give you more detail).
  • There's an app.
  • It's easier to upload/edit photos from your phone/tablet.
  • A 'Like' button.
  • Light and Dark themes (look for crescent moon and lightbulb)
  • In-House Article Publishing: In addition to a friendly what-you-see-is-what-you-get text editor, the forums now allow file attachments to be dragged into place, images to be precisely edited and located, links to be unfurled for a useful preview, and media to be embedded. In the right hands, posts can become full fledged articles. Some very intelligent and talented RV folks in the community might find this an efficient way to painlessly publish their work.
  • News feed. Users can construct an activity feed tailored to their own preferences by selecting other community members to follow.
  • Improved security, search and server horsepower.
  • So much more!!!
Changes going forward:
  • No more front page ... the Off-Topic will live on though, don't worry! <g>
  • The 'who has donated' page has left the building. To the wonderful folks who donated in ’23 and have already donated in '24, thank you! Going forward, if you donate use the link in the forums.
  • For subscribers, a badge will appear next to your username. It may take a bit to get all this set up and squared away.
  • Ads from the old site will be coming online in the next few days.
  • Subscribe with benefits ... such as an ad-free viewing experience and access to an all new exclusive forum: The Ready Room (what happens in The Ready Room stays in ... well, you know the rest)
There will most likely be some hiccups along the way, but we’ll get the bumps ironed out. Hang tough and welcome.

One last thing, please feel free to post questions in this thread and thank you to those who take the time to respond and help users adapt to the changes.

v/r,dr

IMG_8813-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really good. I’m looking forward to learning the new interface and new features.

Any way to recover “subscribed threads” from previous format?

I’m hunting around and I’ll update if I find that!

Edit- I think I have it under “watched threads.” Great work on the site migration!

Patrick

Here's what's new:
  • Mobile friendly (ex: turn your phone from portrait to landscape and watch it give you more detail).
  • There's an app.
  • It's easier to upload/edit photos from your phone/tablet.
  • A 'Like' button.
  • Light and Dark themes (look for crecent moon and lightbulb)
  • In-House Article Publishing: In addition to a friendly what-you-see-is-what-you-get text editor, the forums now allow file attachments to be dragged into place, images to be precisely edited and located, links to be unfurled for a useful preview, and media to be embedded. In the right hands, posts can become full fledged articles. Some very intelligent and talented RV folks in the community might find this an efficient way to painlessly publish their work.
  • News feed. Users can construct an activity feed tailored to their own preferences by selecting other community members to follow.
  • Improved security, search and server horsepower.
  • So much more!!!
Changes going forward:
  • No more front page ... the Off-Topic will live on though, don't worry! <g>
  • The 'who has donated' page has left the building. To the wonderful folks who donated in ’23 and have already donated in '24, thank you! Going forward, if you donate use the link in the forums.
  • For subscribers, a badge will appear next to your username. It may take a bit to get all this set up and squared away.
  • Ads from the old site will be coming online in the next few days.
  • Subscribe with benefits ... such as an ad-free viewing experience and access to an all new exclusive forum: The Ready Room (what happens in The Ready Room stays in ... well, you know the rest)
There will mostly likely be some hiccups along the way, but we’ll get the bumps ironed out. Hang tough and welcome.

One last thing, please feel free to post questions in this thread and thank you to those who take the time to respond and help users adapt to the changes.

v/r,dr

IMG_8813-X3.jpg
So far the new website seems great!

Oh, I get it. No Front Page means uncle Dougie doesn't have to read through all our crap postings to try to find something newsworthy and then make it look "interesting". What are you gonna do with all that spare time, Doug? Maybe build another airplane ;).

Looks really good. I’m looking forward to learning the new interface and new features.

Any way to recover “subscribed threads” from previous format?

I’m hunting around and I’ll update if I find that!

Edit- I think I have it under “watched threads.” Great work on the site migration!

Patrick
Should be under "Watched Threads", mine are.

Oh I got a surprise this morning, it looks different!

Is VAF search fixed now with this upgrade?

Nice… I like what you’ve done with the place!

Can you advise more in regards to the App, as well as subscription?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place
Weird. That's where mine are.

All the data is migrated, there's nothing left to come forward and no way to merge from the 20 year old database directly. This was far more complicated that it looks.

Anybody else missing Private Messages? (Now called "Conversations")

All the data is migrated, there's nothing left to come forward and no way to merge from the 20 year old database directly. This was far more complicated that it looks.

No biggie, a couple technical nuggets that I can prob rely on my Mk1 brain to remember :ROFLMAO:

Might take a bit to get used to, but the new forum looks nice. Thanks for your work with this!

When I click on the envelope, the bottom left corner of the drop-down says “Show all”… and clicks forward to your other/old messages.
IMG_0276.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice… I like what you’ve done with the place!

Can you advise more in regards to the App, as well as subscription?
The App can be installed on supported devices (iPhones, Android, iPad) from the menu, just follow the instructions.

On iPhone/iPad, be sure you're using Safari to install the App. Probably have to use Chrome on Android. It's just a "Progressive Web App" or "PWA". Kind of cool. Haven't tested the push notifications yet.

Last edited:
Will HTML redirects be put in place for the …showthread.php?… links? There seems to be a fair number of posts with those which are now broken.

Will HTML redirects be put in place for the …showthread.php?… links? There seems to be a fair number of posts with those which are now broken.

Short answer is “unlikely”, but let me look at it, can you post an example?

Short answer is “unlikely”, but let me look at it, can you post an example?
Links of the form https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=94420 and https://vansairforce.net/community/archive/index.php/t-211173.html will all be broken now.

i.e., approximately 100% of Google searches for VAF thread content :(

I don't know if you have a mapping between old thread (or post) ID and new URL, but if you do it might be possible to add a community/showthread.php URI which returns a redirect to the new thread (or post)

- mark

Links of the form https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=94420 and https://vansairforce.net/community/archive/index.php/t-211173.html will all be broken now.

i.e., approximately 100% of Google searches for VAF thread content :(

I don't know if you have a mapping between old thread (or post) ID and new URL, but if you do it might be possible to add a community/showthread.php URI which returns a redirect to the new thread (or post)

- mark

Oh, I thought you meant embedded links in posts.

Search engines will work themselves out as the crawlers re-index everything.

Possible? Probably. In the budget? Not so much.

You can use the forum search, it’s really good with this new software.

Last edited:
The App can be installed on supported devices (iPhones, Android, iPad) from the menu, just follow the instructions.

On iPhone/iPad, be sure you're using Safari to install the App. Probably have to use Chrome on Android. It's just a "Progressive Web App" or "PWA". Kind of cool. Haven't tested the push notifications yet.
What menu? I seem to be blind.

I’m gonna be in the minority along with Mike and a few others. First impression is I don’t like change from the old and familiar .

The former version offered “Today’s posts “ which allowed a convenient way to check out everything that had been posted since the last visit in chronological order , is there still a button to get that setup or do you have to look through every individual forum topic looking for the very small “new” flag/ box thingy?

All mine are gone

What menu? I seem to be blind.
if you are using an android and have chrome it's the actual browser menu (vertical 3 dots on the top right). there is an option to download the app. super seamless. not sure if it's the same for Apple products though.

if you are using an android and have chrome it's the actual browser menu (vertical 3 dots on the top right). there is an option to download the app. super seamless. not sure if it's the same for Apple products though.
I must be getting old, I’m on Apple stuff, phone, pad, Mac, but I’m not familiar with pwa, doing some googling now.

Can you clarify this statement? Can we search all forum history?