What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR to Huron

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
More of a mini write up but maybe some motivation for those building.

Well my buddy (who used to be a student of mine) needed a ride back home to catch his girlfriends college graduation, perfect trip for the RV!

It was a fun flight involving dodging ice, thunderstorms, and even picked up a head smasher on the return.

Here is a giant mine near Rapid City

IMG_5003.jpg

Shortly there after we have the old mine in Lead SD. If you have never been to Lead/ Deadwood I highly recommend a visit. This mine is now used for some form of neutrino research.

IMG_5006.jpg

Clouds are starting to rear up around Philip SD, time to start working down in altitude to avoid freezing temps. I may be twisted in the head but I really enjoy flying through clouds!

IMG_5015.jpg

Well, the last hour of the flight looked like this next picture.

IMG_5021.jpg

Time to call in the ole 430 for an LPV approach. Popped out at about 900 AGL, sweet! Love it when I can log the approach. Maaaaan I freakin love this RV and how capable it is!!!

IMG_5018.jpg

I didn't get to take a ton of pictures but I did get to sit in my buddy's Brave that he dusts with. It was fun asking him questions and learning how precise those guys have to be. Very cool to see a world of flying that I have no clue about. Next time maybe I'll get a ride in the 802.

IMG_5027.jpg

Old friends, good Thai food, fun IFR flying all thanks to these awesome planes we get to build! Keep pounding those rivets!

Last edited:
This mine is now used for some form of neutrino research.
Moderator: this post is not really RV related, delete or keep as you see fit. [ed. Loved the extra info!!!! Thanks for posting!!! v/r,dr]

That abandoned gold mine is world famous. A scientist named Ray Davis placed a giant vat of carbon tetrachloride down there, as a means of detecting (electron) neutrinos coming from the sun. But he only detected about 1/3 the expected number. He maintained the experiment for decades, always getting the ‘wrong’ answer. Finally it was discovered that neutrinos were not stable, and that about 2/3 of them would decay to a different type of neutrino that could not be detected by the carbon tetrachloride during their 10+ minute journey from the sun to the earth. He had gotten the expected result all along. He was awarded a Nobel prize just a few years before his death (Nobel prizes are never awarded post-humously).

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator: this post is not really RV related, delete or keep as you see fit.

That abandoned gold mine is world famous. A scientist named Ray Davis placed a giant vat of carbon tetrachloride down there, as a means of detecting (electron) neutrinos coming from the sun. But he only detected about 1/3 the expected number. He maintained the experiment for decades, always getting the ‘wrong’ answer. Finally it was discovered that neutrinos were not stable, and that about 2/3 of them would decay to a different type of neutrino that could not be detected by the carbon tetrachloride during their 10+ minute journey from the sun to the earth. He had gotten the expected result all along. He was awarded a Nobel prize just a few years before his death (Nobel prizes are never awarded post-humously).
No need to delete at all! Part of these trip write ups in my mind is learning the history of our country and expanding our minds with our RVs as a means to make that happen. Thanks for sharing Bob! Believe it or not, now that you mention that, we were at a restaurant in Lead back in November and the waitress mentioned something about the Nobel Prize.

Back