DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Hoping the WX is better where you live <g>.
v/r,dr

Saturday:
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.05.41 AM.png

Sunday (morning):
IMG_3975.PNG

Last edited:
Flew out to the desert to look at the proposed route for the high speed rail from Barstow to Vegas.

It is clear to me going down the center of highway wont work because the curves will be too sharp. (DUH-Homer) i calculate the horizontal force needed to conform to highway curves at 0.7 g, which means a bank angle of 22 degrees, I think.

Flew over Palmdale SR71 park
IMG_6192.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a half dozen great flights at the West Coast Formation Clinic. I'm not sure what the total count of RVs was this year at the clinic. Maybe 70? The organizers do an impressive job keeping everything so well organized, especially given the widely varying levels of experience among the pilots.

There are two days to a weekend!
Flew out to the desert looking to tweak my cross country process.
Here is why I love this plane: Cruising at 13.5K, sipping 6.5 gph with range to Texas. (And it turns out the fuel flow was reading 10% high)

Looks like Osh is two tanks away. Here is the screen shot.

20240428_095101.jpg

There are two days to a weekend!
Flew out to the desert looking to tweak my cross country process.
Here is why I love this plane: Cruising at 13.5K, sipping 6.5 gph with range to Texas. (And it turns out the fuel flow was reading 10% high)

Looks like Osh is two tanks away. Here is the screen shot.

View attachment 61665
If that oil temp reading is accurate, it is well below Lycoming's 140°F minimum temp for continuous operation, and way below the desired temp.

Had a half dozen great flights at the West Coast Formation Clinic. I'm not sure what the total count of RVs was this year at the clinic. Maybe 70? The organizers do an impressive job keeping everything so well organized, especially given the widely varying levels of experience among the pilots.

Nice! I just flew down there and back just to watch the final day's takeoffs, landings, and flyovers. Very cool experience, I could be convinced to give it a try next year. I've never been to Oshkosh so I don't think I've ever seen so many RVs in one place!

This weekend I started my xc flight from GA to CA, Sunday was first flight after the condition inspection, and flew from Sylvania GA to Montgomery AL for the first stop. The hangar there at Montgomery aviation is from WW2.

Attachments

• PXL_20240428_135135228.jpg
    PXL_20240428_135135228.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20240428_172429026.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240428_172429026.MP.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20240428_203120928.jpg
    PXL_20240428_203120928.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
Nice! I just flew down there and back just to watch the final day's takeoffs, landings, and flyovers. Very cool experience, I could be convinced to give it a try next year. I've never been to Oshkosh so I don't think I've ever seen so many RVs in one place!
That's great! I'd encourage you to give it a go. It's a lot of fun, and you'll meet some neat people.

One of the things I like about the clinic is that even though these are all the same aircraft type ("RVs"), the airplanes vary so widely that it's really more like flying formation with dissimilar types. That builds a lot of skill. I did a 4-ship on Friday where one of the pilots had 260 hp RV-8 with a CS prop while the guy flying the #4 position had a fixed pitch 150 hp RV-9. That wingman kept up extremely well, but it took a lot of skill and experience to do so. Reminds me of IAC competition where a highly skilled pilot with a Great Lakes would beat out guys flying Extras and Edges in the intermediate category.

--Ron