Got in a .5 hr RV flight Tue morning in the -6. Seven days since the last hop. HDG mode around the lake enjoying the view. Smooth air and temps in the 60’s. Mental gyros realigned, and grateful, as the rest of the week (and weekend) are kind of spoken for. <bleh>
v/r, dr
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 9.54.56 AM.png

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

RV-7A #73840 Status Report …RossK
LH side of the HS going together well, no issue apart from its length - I think I need a bigger work bench for when the wing kit arrives.
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.17.24 PM.png

Q/A:
Q: What are you inspecting on a RV4 under the floor panel forward of the front seat?
A: The center tunnel as known on the RV4 houses all the control linkage for the sticks and the ailerons, splice plates for the wi gs and also the fuel lines join there at the fuel selector in most RV4's. I assume your new to the RV4 and haven't built one. I built mine and inspect quite a few others. Most of the area can be seen with a mirror through the stick boot and the typically removable floor under the front seat. The attached picture is from back during my build to give you an idea. The splice plates are temporarily installed in the picture.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/condition-inspection.226862/
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 10.17.29 AM.png

Tip: 

Here's a great trick to put in your toolbox... cut a small section of tubing (I used model airplane silicone fuel tubing). Make the length of the tube about as long as the rivet shank. Insert the rivet in the parts and slide the tube over the shank of the rivet that sticks out. Then partially squeeze the rivet. The squeezer will impact the tubing first and clamp the parts together before it begins forming the shop head. Experiment a bit with the length of the tube.

Proper Hook:
Thanks for the suggestion regarding a proper hook. I made one up as described, and managed to get the springs in place. It just seemed like way too much force required to stretch them enough. They're a 57mm spring, and the distance between attach loops is 70mm. 13mm doesn't seem like a lot, but the springs need to be stretched to around 78mm to get the hooked end over the attach ring. Anyway, they're on now. Thanks again.
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 10.20.28 AM.png

Mel Says: RE placement of EXPERIMENTAL in RV-10s
I have discussed this with several DARs and several FAA inspectors and the consistence is that the baggage bulkhead, where most everyone puts it on other RVs, does really not meet the regulations, which state that the placard be placed "near each entrance" to the cabin. To see the baggage bulkhead when entering an RV-10, one would have to look aft past the rear seats and beyond the baggage compartment. This does really comply with the rule.
Suggestions might be on or near each door, on each side of the fuselage or wing, or anywhere it would be obvious to anyone entering the aircraft.

What’s the difference in these 2 rivets?
https://vansairforce.net/threads/what’s-the-difference-in-these-2-rivets.226823/
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.21.06 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.21.12 PM.png

G3X Touch SW v9.41 Available Now
https://vansairforce.net/threads/g3x-touch-sw-v9-41-available-now-5-13-2024.226870/

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 9.59.07 AM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at: