Knowing what brand / model number AP servo would be helpful, and what it's electrically hooked to (stand alone AP controller, or EFIS panel Adf Flt - Dynon - Garmin etc.).
And while I'm asking for info - What is lacking full range of motion: "servo" or "elevator" ? Whats the plane type ?

I don't know how the travel limits work out for other variants however I recall learning that the elevator servos do not provide the total +/- limits on the RV-6.

I don't know how the travel limits work out for other variants however I recall learning that the elevator servos do not provide the total +/- limits on the RV-6.
If the servo is limiting travel, something is wrong with either application or design. Basically true for the vast majority of other actuating mechanisms: prop gov, throttle body, carb, carb heat, whatever. If what you've stated is acceptable to the aircraft OEM, it's a huge surprise.

I was referring to the servo used for Elevator Trim but apologies to the OP if he was referring to an autopilot servo.

In respect to the trim servo, if you do a search on the Forum you will find a significant number of posts detailing difficulties in obtaining the full travel deflection limits listed in the manual. It would seem it's not uncommon. Manual trim gets you full travel, electric trim appears to limit what you can achieve. For this reason it's important to be sure you have the correct servo installed in the first instance - the one with a 1.2" stroke.

Here is one random post from 2011 in which Vans is quoted as saying this is normal: https://vansairforce.net/threads/not-enough-elevator-trim.69574/post-522086

Reviewing the posts I note this issue has been described frequently on the RV-6, 7 and 9 series. I assume its also relevant to the -4 and the -8.

Last edited: