Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I don't have a video to post, but other than me forgetting turn on the mags the first time I started cranking, it went great. Lit right off, Chugged the undrainable dregs of preservative oil and then smoothed right out. The idle was set right, oil pressure was good, mag check and prop cycle were good, I even got a 50 rpm rise when I killed it with the mixture.

I have to say that I was expecting more fiddling to get this right, but it's darn good right out of the box.

The icing on the cake was the post run compression test where I saw 2 out of 4 cylinders with honest to goodness 80/80 compression.

Attachments

• IMG_9661.jpeg
    IMG_9661.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
I don't have a video to post, but other than me forgetting turn on the mags the first time I started cranking, it went great. Lit right off, Chugged the undrainable dregs of preservative oil and then smoothed right out. The idle was set right, oil pressure was good, mag check and prop cycle were good, I even got a 50 rpm rise when I killed it with the mixture.
I have to say that I was expecting more fiddling to get this right, but it's darn good right out of the box.
The icing on the cake was the post run compression test where I saw 2 out of 4 cylinders with honest to goodness 80/80 compression.
Congratulations! It is one of those surprising moments when something that YOU built and put together actually WORKED! I was actually surprised when SuzieQ fired up for the first time! Wow! I must have done a bunch of things right! Just wait: First Flight has similar moments of surprise!

Congrats on the first run! Sound exciting!

Hey, follow up question on compression test: Why did you do this test after first run? Is this a "standard/recommended" procedure? Or did you do it just as curiosity? I am almost getting to this step and this caught my attention.

Congrats on the first run! Sound exciting!

Hey, follow up question on compression test: Why did you do this test after first run? Is this a "standard/recommended" procedure? Or did you do it just as curiosity? I am almost getting to this step and this caught my attention.
I was definitely curious, but also because I'm just around the corner from an airworthiness inspection which requires a logbook entry that says I've done a condition inspection.

A condition inspection is basically a cut and paste of an annual/100 hour inspection out of FAR43 and it says right there in black and white that it includes a compression test.

I'm confident that there are folks who haven't done one and their inspector either didn't ask or didn't care, but I'm not a guy who pencil whips stuff like that.

ps- even though it's not technically required, I also did a fuel flow analysis while I was purging the fuel system. Stuff like that is easy to do while youre getting prepped for hitting the go button.