Mconner7

Well Known Member
I am well along the way to healing from my cardiac bypass. The next step is applying for a special issuance class 3 medical. Does anyone know if there are any shortcuts to the long waiting list at OKC?

I am well along the way to healing from my cardiac bypass. The next step is applying for a special issuance class 3 medical. Does anyone know if there are any shortcuts to the long waiting list at OKC?

Biggest “shortcut” is to work with someone (AOPA is probably sufficient) that understands the process and helps you submit the correct documents/tests/etc the first time, so you get your medical issued ASAP.

Received a SI about a year ago. The wait was a doozie. Finally mad my progress by calling my local FAA Region. They were able to get answers OKC couldn’t seem to find.

My wife applied for hers almost 5 years after successful breast cancer surgery. Took a full year from application to receiving her SI after two different letters from her Oncologist.

If you work with an AME who knows what they are doing and willing to call the right people in OKC it's speedier. Dr. Chen (AME legend) has talked about it quite a bit on pilotsofamerica forum. He still frequents those forums so this may be a better question over there.

They say to send documents digitally if you can, through your AME. Follow the FAA protocol for required documents. They updated it recently to include A1C.

I received the first letter four months after my initial SI application requesting three additional things. ECG print out, new labs and the letter from the cardiologist answering all the questions the FAA had in the protocol. Now I log in and it says something was insufficient to determine my eligibility for SI. We felt we had provided exactly what they requested. A letter is supposed to be here any day now so we’ll see what the fffheck they want next…

It’s been nearly a year since I had one stent placed in my heart. Getting a SI soon or expedited I think will be impossible. You just have to wait for the glorious government to let you fly. It’s been emotionally draining so prepare yourself. A CFI I know is in the same boat and was told the cases/applications have quadrupled.

All I know is to try to provide them exactly what they request.

Last edited:
No such thing as a shortcut but there are a few AME’s that can help the process. Most don’t have a clue.

Be prepared for 8-12 months if you are lucky but it could take longer. :(

It took me 18 months to receive my SI. That includes three back and forth for different tests and a two month government shut down in 2017. The FAA can improve the accident statics by keeping us on the ground.

The best advice is to do your homework and know the AME Guidance better than they do. It is all available on the FAA website of you search for "Gide for Aviation Medical Examiners. This is a link to the various disease protocols: https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/dec_cons/disease_prot

Learn everything you can about the process and don't rely on anyone else to hold your hand through the process. Someone told me years ago that, "if the paperworks not right somebody's crying". Look at everything yourself and make sure it says and includes everything that it needs to before it gets submitted.

In the end the closes thing "shortcut" with the FAA is to make sure that everything is correct the first time. Best of luck!