Phil Sprang

Well Known Member
Benefactor
So, I was about to apply the first bit of Proseal in the fuel tank construction process. I have four pint kits of Flamemaster CS-3204 B2, acquired from Aircraft Spruce last week.

I opened the first can of the part A base and was surprised by the color of what was in the can. It was very Tan. I'm used to seeing White. I'm inclined to not use this can.

The Flamemaster SDS says it should be White.

It's a holiday weekend so I guess I won't be able to get input from Flamemaster or Spruce until Tuesday but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before. Nobody that I know locally has.

Curiosity got to me and I opened another can and it was the familiar white. Different batch number, of course.

IMG_9033.jpeg

IMG_9034.jpeg

So, I was about to apply the first bit of Proseal in the fuel tank construction process. I have four pint kits of Flamemaster CS-3204 B2, acquired from Aircraft Spruce last week.

I opened the first can of the part A base and was surprised by the color of what was in the can. It was very Tan. I'm used to seeing White. I'm inclined to not use this can.

The Flamemaster SDS says it should be White.

It's a holiday weekend so I guess I won't be able to get input from Flamemaster or Spruce until Tuesday but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before. Nobody that I know locally has.

Curiosity got to me and I opened another can and it was the familiar white. Different batch number, of course.

View attachment 63462

View attachment 63463
Well, it's not Proseal, so I can't comment. Proseal is tan, but I have never used Flamemaster. Colors vary on different category types with Proseal, but again, I am not familiar with the product you are using.

Flamemaster, ProSeal are all manufacturer's of the generic mil spec Polysulfide.

I have worked around the stuff for 40-years. It may be ok but I would test a small mixture and see if it cures.

A follow-up.

I emailed Flamemaster technical support yesterday and included the pictures I posted above. I received a very prompt response today by 930AM eastern.. Hint, Flamemaster is in California. They had the lab look at their batch sample. Hereis the ultimate response, after I answered a question and they did their research.

The "black" base is more of a tan color; the "not black" version is definitely white. The lab said that this one is a little darker than usual, but they were not surprised by it. They thought you must usually buy the regular one.

The "not black" version is the one that is fully qualified to AMS-S-8802. The "black" version is very similar, but we have not pursued full qualification of it, if that is a critical point for you.

It looks like I ordered the incorrect product. I was unaware there was a "Black" version and a non Black version. I will not be using this in my tanks.

I also have to say that I'm very impressed with the tech support from Flamemaster.