SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
On page 38-23, the canopy is match drilled to the canopy frame, side skins & rails. I'm sure that a plexiglass bit should be used but how are they in drilling the aluminum? Any considerations I should be aware of? I presume that I don't need to switch bits after getting through the plexiglass.

On page 38-23, the canopy is match drilled to the canopy frame, side skins & rails. I'm sure that a plexiglass bit should be used but how are they in drilling the aluminum? Any considerations I should be aware of? I presume that I don't need to switch bits after getting through the plexiglass.
I’ve never had an issue drilling The first hole you with a #40 bit and pushing threw any sub material, just be sure and use a dull or plexiglass bit to enlarge once you get things fastened, also a good idea to countersink the plexiglass BEFORE opening up those initial holes so your centered when you’ve enlarged for expansion !

When I did this I had 2 drills chucked up and ready to go. One with a plexiglass-bit and as soon as I was through that next drill standard bit.
Worked for me.

Good luck
I'm wondering if this is what is meant where Step 4 says, "Alternate match-drilling the holes in the canopy rails and drilling the canopy."

I thought what they they meant by this was alternate left side then right side one hole at at time, until completed. It made sense so
thats the way I did it. Seems to fit good.

I thought what they they meant by this was alternate left side then right side one hole at at time, until completed. It made sense so
thats the way I did it. Seems to fit good.
Re-reading it, I believe that they mean to alternate between drilling the holes along the canopy rail and the holes around the canopy "bow." And I think it best to alternate left to right, as well.