Jettison

My Rv-7 has the old SV-5 plastic air vents. They leak terribly and am looking for a replacement. Are the newer style SV-6 plastic vents good enough or do I need to spend 2.5 times more for the aluminum version SV-7?

I can’t speak to the newer plastic vents. I did install the aluminum vents from Steinair. The aluminum vents work flawlessly and I highly recommend them.

+1

I can’t speak to the newer plastic vents. I did install the aluminum vents from Steinair. The aluminum vents work flawlessly and I highly recommend them.

Sorry I think you are going to spend 2.5 times more to get the results you want.

If you are looking to stop a leak on the plastic vents, a rubber stopper from the local hardware store will work. But, Aluminum replacements are very nice.

Owned all 3 styles

I’ve owned all 3 of the Vans vents. I tried the new style 3D printed plastic ones, they sealed nicely - much better than the original plastic ones, but the operation was stiff. I knew how they worked, so it was OK, until a passenger stuck his finger into the vent to try to open it and broke a pin inside of it. In hindsight, I should have tried some silicone lubricant, but I thought they might loosen up with time. I then purchased the Vans Aluminum ones. Very happy with those. So far, I still have the plastic 3D printed one on my side.

the guy who figures out how to make those plastic air vents leak free will be awarded with the nobel prize.

as el cheapo as i am i tried everything. i recall even Vans wrote in the instructions something like "no idea how to fix them. good luck". don't spend time on these and get the good ones.

Vents

Spent the $$ on the aluminum vents for my RV4 hooked to NACA ducts. Glad I did. Plenty of air I can direct and control. One of the best upgrade I did and would do again (and I think it’s the SV-6 which is aluminum - for $160 but worth it)

Last edited:
Never regretted upgrading to the large Stein vents. I feel like I am going to miss them on the RV-12 since it has no ability to direct the airflow to where you want it.

Plastic vs aluminum....no contest....

My Rv-7 has the old SV-5 plastic air vents. They leak terribly and am looking for a replacement. Are the newer style SV-6 plastic vents good enough or do I need to spend 2.5 times more for the aluminum version SV-7?

GO ALUMINUM! Were the plastic available when I was building? I'm not sure but probably. Never gave them a thought. These are things you want to get the best of as you will be using them EVERY time you fly. There is nothing like having the vents directed precisely where you want them with exactly how much air you want blowing out of them. Sometimes even a small adjustment makes a major difference. Imagine the annoyance when a plastic one breaks or is leaking while you are flying and venting unwanted air on your passenger who wasn't sure he wanted to get in this airplane in the first place! Oh, great! The thing is falling apart! And they are a PITA to replace.

I have two 1-inch aluminum vents on the panel, one on each side, which I can direct exactly where I want them. They keep me cool in a canopied RV-4 without the use of a :rolleyes: shade. :cool: I have never been "too hot", and I fly with a helmet! The 1 1/2" vent for the passenger takes air from the bottom of the starboard wing via a NACA scoop and will literally blow your hat off! :) I have both the vent itself and a divider gate which can further regulate how much air is coming in and also mix with warm air when needed, or completely shut incoming air off. Never had a passenger complain about the temperature.

Aluminum vents speak quality. "You can pay me now or you can pay me later...." IMHO; those that like their plastic ones: here's to ya! Friends don't let their friends fly.....um......I mean buy....plastic air vents!:D:D

Attachments

• img704ac.jpg
    img704ac.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
GO ALUMINUM! Were the plastic available when I was building? I'm not sure but probably. Never gave them a thought. These are things you want to get the best of as you will be using them EVERY time you fly. There is nothing like having the vents directed precisely where you want them with exactly how much air you want blowing out of them. Sometimes even a small adjustment makes a major difference. Imagine the annoyance when a plastic one breaks or is leaking while you are flying and venting unwanted air on your passenger who wasn't sure he wanted to get in this airplane in the first place! Oh, great! The thing is falling apart! And they are a PITA to replace.

I have two 1-inch aluminum vents on the panel, one on each side, which I can direct exactly where I want them. They keep me cool in a canopied RV-4 without the use of a :rolleyes: shade. :cool: I have never been "too hot", and I fly with a helmet! The 1 1/2" vent for the passenger takes air from the bottom of the starboard wing via a NACA scoop and will literally blow your hat off! :) I have both the vent itself and a divider gate which can further regulate how much air is coming in and also mix with warm air when needed, or completely shut incoming air off. Never had a passenger complain about the temperature.

Aluminum vents speak quality. "You can pay me now or you can pay me later...." IMHO; those that like their plastic ones: here's to ya!

I love the side panels/arm rests where your switches and breakers are that you made.. I want to make something like that for my -4.. is that something you just made up yourself? Are they attached just at the front and rear or along the side fuselage skin too?

Last edited:
I've seen many people look into my cockpit and say "wow, nice vents, wish I had those" ... ;

Stein large aluminum. The pain of the cost leaves soon after you use them the first time.

Side panels

I love the side panels/arm rests where your switches and breakers are that you made.. I want to make something like that for my -4.. is that something you just made up yourself? Are they attached just at the front and rear or along the side fuselage skin too?

Thanks! I worked hard to get them to be like I wanted them to be and to look good! They work well and, while a little bit of a PITA to make, improve the interior of the aircraft significantly. IMHO.

The "arm rests" and switch panels are attached at the forward and aft ends with a 90 degree fitting I made, held by two screws forward and one aft going into K1000 anchor nuts. The throttle side is also attached to the throttle quadrant. They are canted in to make them better-looking and more functional. The side panels are held on with 90 degree fittings and held in place with MS35206 245 pan screws which go into K1000 anchor nuts.

Bummer thing was I just had those panels off doing Condition things and JUST put them back on 3 days ago!:p I did find some photos of the throttle quadrant..... You can see the 90 degree tabs that hold the side panels on...

Attachments

• IMG_95005.jpg
    IMG_95005.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_95004.jpg
    IMG_95004.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_95002.jpg
    IMG_95002.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 68
If you are stuck with plastic vents, there is a screw in the side to adjust the open/close friction. For the leaking
cut a business card in half on the short side, open the vent to just open and place 1/2 in each side and close the vent.

If you used black card stock and placed a small amount of glue on the backside, then you can make them permanent.

Back in the day the RVator publication showed a method to seal the plastic vents
Basically coat the inside wall with Vaseline and then put a layer of RTV on the flapper piece that seals against the inside wall.
When the RTV dries the vent will work fine and won’t leak

I couldn't believe how much air the stein aluminum vents blow. I was in Phase 1 during the hottest height of summer heat this past year, and opening those puppies up at altitude felt like the blast from an air compressor hose.

Resurrecting this thread- Are the new Vans’ SV-6 aluminum vents satisfactory with air flow or is it better going for Stein’s 1 7/8" units? I assume there’s modifications required to mount to the outside NACA vent and the actual circle diameter of the mounting tabs (do I need to make a whole new tabs)? I'd appreciate any insight from those who have installed the 1 7/8 Stein units. I have a RV14A QB fuselage.

Resurrecting
Wouldn't call a November 23 thread as resurrected...
I have 2 non-identified aluminum vents which are very difficult to operate, as there is a locking bezel which is almost flush to the panel, and which tightens over time... as one of the next updates I'll check on the size, and then order some of those 1 7/8 Stein units which I'm sure all will praise but for the price ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 09.19.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 09.19.31.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 31
I have 2 non-identified aluminum vents which are very difficult to operate, as there is a locking bezel which is almost flush to the panel, and which tightens over time....
I have two of the aluminum vents (front seat of my -4) and a larger one in the back seat. They will stiffen over time but a little well-applied LPS 2 or TriFLo will loosen them right up to original movement. PLENTY of air from both. Two in the front: one on my face; one on my chest. Plenty of air even on the hottest of days. The larger one in the back, fed by a NACA inlet off the bottom of the right wing, will blow your hat off! IMHO; YMMV

Attachments

• img704AC1.jpg
    img704AC1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21