AV8ER

Well Known Member
Think tank:

I am replacing the belt on the -10 and noticed the pulley on my alternator had some wear on it. I called Hartzell to order a replacement sheve and Seth told me it came with a new alternator attached! They do not (normally) sell the pulley by itself. My jaw dropped. I am now looking to source one on the open market. Does anyone know where I can order one?

Thanks,
Tim
IMG_8421.JPG

Think tank:

I am replacing the belt on the -10 and noticed the pulley on my alternator had some wear on it. I called Hartzell to order a replacement sheve and Seth told me it came with a new alternator attached! They do not (normally) sell the pulley by itself. My jaw dropped. I am now looking to source one on the open market. Does anyone know where I can order one?

Thanks,
TimView attachment 62964
So - This is NOT the correct answer from a reputable supplier (in my humble opinion :) ). Try contacting Josh Solis, Aircraft Spruce Corona Ca., Josh is the product support manager and has been with Spruce for 3+ decades (ask me how I know). Explain whats going on and ask him to "investigate" prodding HET into selling just a pulley. Alternate suggestions include getting a good pulley from a core alternator being returned through a large supplier like Spruce.... going to involve some fancy talk but it's a path forward.
Good luck, Tell him T&S Steve w/ a Trade-A-Plane in my hand says Hi.

I replaced my pulley with a slightly larger one to slow down the alternator, so I have a spare if you like, but I'm sure you can source one locally. You should also carefully look at the alignment, which might be causing that strange wear on the pulley. Mine was off slightly, with the alternator pulley just a tad too far forward. Might be what you are seeing.

So - This is NOT the correct answer from a reputable supplier (in my humble opinion :) ). Try contacting Josh Solis, Aircraft Spruce Corona Ca., Josh is the product support manager and has been with Spruce for 3+ decades (ask me how I know). Explain whats going on and ask him to "investigate" prodding HET into selling just a pulley. Alternate suggestions include getting a good pulley from a core alternator being returned through a large supplier like Spruce.... going to involve some fancy talk but it's a path forward.
Good luck, Tell him T&S Steve w/ a Trade-A-Plane in my hand says Hi.
I’d also check the bearings - I think you have some aluminum dust (the black stuff) showing which is caused by the bearing outer race turning in the case.
BTW , the lockwire on the bolt is the reverse direction of what it needs to be 😉

This looks like extreme misalignment. If you have the Lycoming dual groove flywheel and used the standard attachment fittings, you will have a misalignment of the alternator pulley with the flywheel. I believe you can purchase the correct offset spacers to properly align the alternator when used in conjunction with a dual groove flywheel pulley.

All, thanks as usual for the insight. Feedback received and implemented.

As is typical something that seems to make no sense has a reason. In this case it has to do with (not) supplying parts to the certified world that they do not have install paperwork/liability protection for. If you dig deep enough with persistence you can find bedrock at Hartzell that will solve your (experimental) issue (PM me if you find yourself needing this answer).

In the process I learned something about the Plane Power unit that I had not known: this particular alternator has a petroleum based, sealed bearing with a shelf life of 10-12 years.

FYI...Maybe it's the picture but the safety wire is going the wrong direction. Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 4.36.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 4.36.57 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited: