gimmedub

I'm New Here
Am coming up on retirement and planning to move full time down to Colombia - considering a RV12 to putz around while here but checking the airport options I noted there's no Mogas nor 100LL (just 100) available... any suggestions or should I drop the rotax?

Wouldn’t 100 be 100 LL without the lead… ie, 100 octane no lead.
Seems like this would be the best fuel you could put in the airplane. Higher octane than the minimum that Rotax requires, but no lead content.
The actual octane might be less than 100 as measured by the US standard though, because not all countries measure it the same way, so it would be a good idea to confirm what the equivalent octane to the US standard is.

Am coming up on retirement and planning to move full time down to Colombia - considering a RV12 to putz around while here but checking the airport options I noted there's no Mogas nor 100LL (just 100) available... any suggestions or should I drop the rotax?

Colombia...the country? Good luck.

If you mean Colombia, in Nuevo Leon Mexico, that’s just up the river from Nuevo Laredo (across from Laredo, TX). My search-fu doesn’t yield any info on the Mexican side. Laredo TX shows no UL fuel on or around the airport.

Last edited:
I would presume he meant 100 AvGas, the stuff tinted green, once sold in the US. About 50% more lead than ‘low lead’ (blue tint)

You might be right
If so that would be a non-starter for the Rotax.
Only option would then be transport of mogas in jugs to the airport (which a lot of people already do here in the USA)

I've worked and lived down there and its a neat place for sure. But Bogota is 8660 ft asl and surrounded by really really tall mountains and seems like constant weather.

I can't imagine that with the bureaucracy in getting anything done would be simpler for general aviation.

And then you would probably be under the constant microscope of everyone...... on what you could be doing.

If you have ever watched that TV show Border Security on Colombia, ya thats what its like but worse.

Tim

Also recommend the Flofast tanks with the hand pump system. I use the 15gallon jig as I never need a full 20 to fill the tank. They're strong, durable, and the hand pump is very fast and smooth.

I'll add another vote for hauling your own fuel. I am based at an airport with easy access to 100LL, even delivered by the FBO right to the plane, but choose to drive across the street with jugs and refuel with nice clean 91 octane non-ethanol mogas. The cost savings alone makes it worth the trouble, but the much cleaner burning is the real incentive even if cost was the same. You could really go first class with a truck-mounted refueling tank with an electric pump, but that's overkill for the volume of fuel the RV12 burns.