RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Long time ago I saw someone mentioning about getting the replacement Brushes for the electric prop on AircraftSpruce. I tried to search it here but no luck. If anyone knows could I get the link for the replacement brushes? thanks for any info.

Mine uses Rapco RAB40012. That brush set has 3 brushes. The MT only uses 2 of them; the 3rd brush is cut off and discarded before installation.

Buy 2 sets. There's a fair chance you will break a brush during installation.

Last edited:
Bought some from Ru Lon Aviation in Salem Iowa... a few years ago, and for a much better price than what ACS is asking. Unfortunately the company doesn't list a website anymore, and has probably vanished.

I had the same cluster part number as FORANE gives. They do break easily, and if memory serves me right, I was able to transplant a 3rd unused brush into another cluster.

Got it I will check with ACS. Any idea how many hrs does the brushes last?

I have run my MT for over 800 hours I believe. In that time I have changed brushes more often due to breaking one than when they have worn out. Say the alternator belt needs to be changed; the prop comes off. When replacing the prop, if the flywheel gets a little off it's easy to break a brush. Guessing I would say they are good for at least 500 hours, and possibly double that if your slip rings are clean and in good repair (and you don't break one...).

Aircraft Spruce doesn''t have the carbon brushes that fit the Rapco RAB 40012. (1/2 inch wide).

Randy at Aircraft Spruce contacted Rabco and "He informed me that for the RAB or RAC Cluster's they do not provide the brush replacements. You would need to replace the full unit." The brushes they carry that are the 3/4"x3/4" size and are for the BFG series.

Has anyone found a good source recently? Indeed they are fragile and it's a $150 fix at this point.

Last edited: