Ron_K

I'm New Here
Patron
I recently purchased an RV8 that I’m doing some upgrades to. In that process I’ll need to replace a couple of interior pieces and need to try and match the interior color. Does this Juneau White seem like a likely candidate for an interior color? These are paints used on the airplane I just don’t know where for some of them. The builder is no longer with us so I cannot ask him.

Ron Kirkland
IMG_0300.jpeg

Here is an interior picture for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_7706.jpeg
    IMG_7706.jpeg
    752.3 KB · Views: 108
Some body shop painters will say that whites are difficult to match, as there are so many subtle variations. With that said, most people are not going to be able to notice a subtle difference in shades unless you get right on it and are looking for a difference. Pick a product that you're familiar with and that you can easily get the corresponding primer(s) and go with it.

I have a couple different shades of gray in my interior and I don't even notice it. Neither has anyone else.

Thanks,

Looks too white to me on the chart, but I guess there is a lot of variation looking on my computer.

If you take an existing piece to the paint store they should be able to analyse it with their color scanner and work out the formula for the new paint. I've done this a couple of times and the result was no noticeable difference in the color of the new paint.

Last edited:
If you take an existing piece to the paint store they should be able to analyse it with their color scanner and work out the formula for the new paint. I've done this a couple of times and the result was no noticeable difference in the color of the new paint.
Good idea, thanks.

Ron

Your picture shows the golden ticket. All the information is there, Just go to a store selling PPG paint.
You got lucky and have the mix sticker.
I to got lucky on the plane I bought After digging through the log books I found a small notation from a cowl repair about the color of the paint. Nailed it.
The builder didn't bother to put in anywhere and he to is gone.

My luck varies FIXIT

Second picture is of the paint toners and the weight of each toner . As said above take that to PPG paint shop and they can mix it up . Should be very good match .

Your picture shows the golden ticket. All the information is there, Just go to a store selling PPG paint.
You got lucky and have the mix sticker.
I to got lucky on the plane I bought After digging through the log books I found a small notation from a cowl repair about the color of the paint. Nailed it.
The builder didn't bother to put in anywhere and he to is gone.

My luck varies FIXIT
Second picture is of the paint toners and the weight of each toner . As said above take that to PPG paint shop and they can mix it up . Should be very good match .
Yes the paint shop will be able to use the formula to match the paint that is in the can. But the OP states in post #1 that it is uncertain whether that color is what was actually used to paint the inside. So it may therefore not be suitable. Note the quantity on the label was only 0.5 pint, which is not enough to paint the inside. Therefore it is going to be safer to take a piece to the paint shop to get a reliable match, even if it turns out to be Juneau White.

+1. I did this and the store absolutely nailed both colors on an access panel.