JImKerr

Sponsor
I purchased a new GTX35R transponder from Aircraft Spruce January 2, 2024 prepping for my avionics build. The transponder is brand new and never installed. My project changed direction and I am going to be installing a GTX45R instead. I am tight on panel space and Garmin discontinued the GPS20A that I was going to use for ADSB out compliance. I am building a VFR only bird. I don't have room to install a panel mounted GPS and non-Garmin GPS' will not work with any Garmin transponder.

I paid Spruce $2,573 plus tax when I purchased the unit. It looks like it is still under warranty (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/aviation-limited-warranty/). They say G3X remote mounted components have a 2 year or 800 flight hour warranty. I don't see anything in the warranty disclosure that prevents transfers. I will give whoever buys this a copy of the original receipt in case they ever need warranty service.

Anyone want a fair price on a GTX35R PM me. Please don't send me some crazy low-ball offer. I don't want to be haggling over selling the thing. It is brand new in the box. I can't afford to give it away. It takes every penny I can scrape up to build my plane and I have to buy a $1800 more expensive transponder to replace this one with! I can't afford to give it away.

Jim

Right for sure, but it is going to be internal. I won't need an external GPS source to feed it. They call it a GARMIN GTX45R with GPS. They mount the GPS inside of it with an external antenna port. I was going to use a GPS20A, but they discontinued it. The only option I have if I want to stay with a transponder that can be controlled by the G3X is to get a transponder with an internal GPS.

Did Garmin finally release their long-rumored GTX45R/GPS? Their site still shows the old GTX45R and the GPS20A.

I just ordered the GTX45R/GPS from Aircraft Spruce today. They show in stock. It is expensive! There is very little documentation on it. I am going to try to get GPS out to send to other devices similar to how the GPS20A worked as well. I will post on my experience with it.

Interesting. It looks like they just took the guts of the GPS 20A and mashed them into the chassis of the GTX 45R and now you only have one box to wire. Very nice!

Interesting. It looks like they just took the guts of the GPS 20A and mashed them into the chassis of the GTX 45R and now you only have one box to wire. Very nice!
The GTX345 (R) has always been available with GPS, so they just repackaged it in the 45R, makes sense.

I'm glad they made the change. The GTX345R/GPS retails at $5,923 vs the GTX45R/GPS $4,495. $1,428 more for the same functionality. When I ordered it on Spruce it showed in stock. They show it in stock on their website now. After ordering they shipped most of the parts already. However, they marked the GTX345R/GPS as backordered. I ran another test purchase though their site again and it still shows in stock and to expect delivery by 5/15. I'm not sure why they marked it as backordered and not just pending shipping like normal. It looks like it is shipping from another warehouse.

This has been a good learning experience for me. I am selling this perfect brand new GTX35R transponder that has never been taken out of the box because of Garmin changes that I have yet to see formally announced anywhere. I didn't order a GPS20A when I ordered the transponder to help save some cashflow as I buy all of this expensive gear. That bit me. They discontinued the GPS20A and they have no plans to ever replace it. I had to buy a completely new transponder that is a lot more expensive than the 35R/20A combo because I didn't order what I needed at the same time.