Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
As I am workign through the build of our F1 interior and storage compartments, I am wondering if anyone has an “gross“ (pardon the pun) comments such as “yeah, they are always nose heavy“ or “Man, I can’t put anything in my baggage compartment becasue I go out the back end of the box”. Stock F1 Rocket, standard IO-540, lightweight WW-330 prop - probably an EarthX battery in the back…..

Paul

As I am workign through the build of our F1 interior and storage compartments, I am wondering if anyone has an “gross“ (pardon the pun) comments such as “yeah, they are always nose heavy“ or “Man, I can’t put anything in my baggage compartment becasue I go out the back end of the box”. Stock F1 Rocket, standard IO-540, lightweight WW-330 prop - probably an EarthX battery in the back…..

Paul
Not quite on topic (W&B) but this was one fine looking F1 at SNF
IMG_3971.JPGIMG_3972.jpg

To answer Paul's question, with a 6 cylinder up front, it can be tough to load these things aft far enough to notice. I'm expecting that with a WW prop up front, you'll be in the sweet spot overall.

To answer Paul's question, with a 6 cylinder up front, it can be tough to load these things aft far enough to notice. I'm expecting that with a WW prop up front, you'll be in the sweet spot overall.
thanks Vince. I guess my real question is if I build a storage box “between my feet” so to speak, I can make enough space to carry the stuff I always carry in the forward baggage area of my RV-8…canopy cover, tools, tiedowns, oil. theres space for it - but if the airplane doesn’t like added weight up front, I can’t use it. But yeah - lightweight prop! And….it’s not that far from the CG, so it’s probably a wash.

and - I’ve still got an RV- 3 for absolutely fingertip flying!😉

A while back I did some CG calcs to determine the suitability of lightweight batteries on the firewall vs. a lead acid battery in the stock location. Because of the reduction in weight the CG change was minimal, when taking into account elimination of heavy cables and moving the contactors. I added an upper baggage floor to use the dead space in the turtledeck for oil, headsets, tools, junk, etc. These airplanes fly just fine with forward CG. You can always carry some water bottles and tools in the back, if needed.

I used to do loops in my good old friend Jim WInings' F1 with only two fingers holding backpressure on the stick. RV3 is sort of boring to fly compared to flying a rocket.

Paul,

Several of us have put small lockers on either side of the tunnel, under your thighs, in addition to a small locker ahead of the stick. Save some room for your boost pump.

I don't know if Bob is referring to the same locker that Tom Martin, me, and probably several others added to the upper, sloped area of the #7 bulkhead, but that is a bomb addition. It's a bit less accessible on a slider due to the front edge of the track being in the way, but still doable.

I also put a sliding map tray under the panel, about the same size as a cookie sheet. I loved that feature too. It allowed me to have a paper map (yes, they still make those) unfolded and readily accessible, but easily slid out of the way also. A small spring, bow-shaped gizmo held the paper in place. Worked great.

I guess my real question is if I build a storage box “between my feet” so to speak...
I have that space earmarked for the O2 bottle when going high and long (not installed yet) but I mostly use it for my toolbag when I am loaded to the gills in back (wife, and baggage). The toolbag will fit in back, but I like to get the CG bump a bit more forward when I am that heavy.

Concerning the F1, my buddy has one and he built it specifically to be near the aft end when empty, so much so that even with just me in the back (`200 lbs), he was noticing it. He even did some stalls and the tail tended to dig in in the break so it was indeed running toward the aft end.

I think the bottom line is that you can build it any way you want, given your anticipated mission.