Duncannon

Interestingly, N179RV was originally a tailwheel before the Rotax engine was installed. I’ve read some articles and watched the video, but Lockwood makes no mention whether or not the kit could be done on a tailwheel. Would the CG be different? Would the long nose make taxiing more difficult? If I see him at EAS this year, I intend to ask him.

Here are some photos of the aircraft before the conversion.

I asked him at SnF. His kit, when ready, could be used for tailwheel or nosewheel planes. The kit included motor mount would have the nose gear attachment either way. You would just leave it unused for the tailwheel.

I asked him at SnF. His kit, when ready, could be used for tailwheel or nosewheel planes. The kit included motor mount would have the nose gear attachment either way. You would just leave it unused for the tailwheel.

Cool. Another thing is, if the nose gear is included, would this make it simple to convert a tailwheel to a nosewheel if you so desired (as he did)?

Cool. Another thing is, if the nose gear is included, would this make it simple to convert a tailwheel to a nosewheel if you so desired (as he did)?
Simple? No.

Easier? Yes.

Going the other direction would be more difficult and invasive because there would be no structural elements in the tail for attaching the tail spring. Installing those would require de-riveting a portion of the fuselage skins at the very aft end of the fuselage.

BTW, the conversion of the airplane to tricycle gear was done at Van's before the airplane was shipped (minus the firewall fwd installation) to Florida

I read the article about this conversion, very interesting to see how it turned out. I think I read the conversion kit was around $80K, or maybe I am thinking something else.

Does this mean that the mount also has the main gear sockets included in the mount for a TD.

The only potential (very minor) issue I could think of is that the external oil tank may need to be mounted in a different place/height/position due to the tail wheel "tilt back"

The Rotax installation manual has a specific distance (height) above the bottom of the crankcase that the tank must be mounted to satisfy the oil flow requirements. It becomes an issue with very high mounted engines on bushplanes.

Probably very minor but it could theoretically require different length hoses or something.

Is that with or without the engine? I heard they were supposed to announce at Sun n fun - are there any recent press releases I might have missed?

Although he doesn’t specifically state if it includes the engine, he compares the $80k to the $60k of a Lycoming installation (which does include the engine), so it’s safe to say the answer is yes. Otherwise you’d be looking at over $140k.

I wonder if the cowl from the FWF package from Lockwood would fit on an RV 7, as the fuselage is very similar to the 9, though not identical. Or even a 6. Is there a difference in the cowling? Of course, they also had to add a dorsal fin, so it may not fit on the 7 and definitely wouldn’t fit on a 6, though perhaps they may not need it? What are your thoughts?

Near the end, this article (about the RV 4/600) states that there is currently an RV 7 powered by a 915 in Argentina, though I can’t find any info on it.

I wonder if the cowl from the FWF package from Lockwood would fit on an RV 7, as the fuselage is very similar to the 9, though not identical. Or even a 6. Is there a difference in the cowling? Of course, they also had to add a dorsal fin, so it may not fit on the 7 and definitely wouldn’t fit on a 6, though perhaps they may not need it? What are your thoughts?

Near the end, this article (about the RV 4/600) states that there is currently an RV 7 powered by a 915 in Argentina, though I can’t find any info on it.
None of the rotax enginces are aerobatic capable so you lose all of that capability by putting a rotax in an RV 7. I think the rotax engines are limited to a max 60 degree bank and cannot run at all if inverted.

None of the rotax enginces are aerobatic capable so you lose all of that capability by putting a rotax in an RV 7. I think the rotax engines are limited to a max 60 degree bank and cannot run at all if inverted.

It wouldn’t matter to me. I have no intentions of perf aerobatics. It’d only be an issue when I go to sell it (and unfortunately I don’t think that far head).