Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Bonding to lead counterweights

Hello all,

While shaping the counterweight for my right elevator, I uncovered a void in it that was a result of the casting process. This is the new-style counterweight that fits between the front of the tip ribs and elevator skin, and it's already been match-drilled to the ribs and skin so replacing it would be a pain.

Here are a couple of questions -

Has anyone balanced their right elevator? If so, how much lead did you remove to get the balance right?

Is there a good epoxy or other glue that will bond to lead? I don't have the means to melt lead, so I'm considering just mixing some lead shot or shavings with epoxy if filling the void is necessary.

Thanks....

Dave

Last edited:
Hahaha, I liked it the way it was before the edit!

:D

I say we take a two by, rout it out with my router to shape, line it with tin foil and have a go at it with some ladles and torches!

I bet it will come out GREAT!

;) CJ

I epoxied the edge of my tip to the lead and blended with Superfil. It turned out great after painting and hasn't cracked in almost a year of flying. After trimming the right weight, per plan, I still needed to remove a small amount of lead after it was painted. It amounted to about two or three small holes drilled to about 1/4". Do not trim the left weight. The trim tab is heavy and will compensate for the full thickness.

Last edited: