jclark

Well Known Member
Benefactor
In a couple of other threads, there is reference to my visit by a swarm of bees while at SnF, just before departure time one evening.

Coverage of that can be found here:

And here:

I mentioned that there was more and in the interest of SAFETY, I share what later happened.
[Get your favorite beverage and popcorn as this is long-winded. :) ]

The bees, needless to say were a distraction. The idea was to not disturb them, get into the cockpit, startup and GO! With the hope that the prop breeze would cause them to scramble.
But this required getting the plane untied, lined up in the starting position with the starters starting me FIRST so that I am locked in before other propwash potentially blows them into my cockpit for the multi-hour ride back home (partially at NIGHT!!).

With the help of several people we got the plane positioned with the "bee-keepers" (including our own Dan Landry of RV7A->RV7 fame) doing their thing to remove as many bees as quickly as possible while my passenger and I ROASTED in the cockpit of a tip-up canopy RV6 in the heat of the afternoon in central Florida!
The starters flag me to start (first), but I am NOT ready. Normally when getting in the plane, I turn certain things on so that the EFIS and Electronic Ignition are ready for me to just start (after a little fuel pressure). But sitting there for a while watching bees swarm had distracted me from that. <<BEES DISTRACTION>>

Nonetheless, I got started, taxied out, reasonably early to 28L and 28R. While taxiing, I noticed that a few bees were STILL hanging on so I felt that I would keep an eye on them.

The plane before me, and I, were flagged to hold short of 28L (the BIG "runway") as there was landing traffic of a large jet, I think. Others had been taxied across to 28R (small "runway" [taxiway]). The flag person waves me and the plane ahead of me to taxi onto 28L (the BIG one) and he takes off. I key up to verify takeoff but get NO response. I key up again, and again. Nothing. Another plane comes up to my left and takes off, so I roll as well. Hmmmm .....

It is going to be NIGHT when I get home (not the initial plan) because we are now about an hour LATER departing than planned. So after departure, I want to be sure and get in the system with flight following by calling Tampa APP/DEP. I have done this many times before and soon thereafter they hand me off to Jacksonville, followed by Atlanta (multiple) and finally Columbia. I call and call Tampa. No response. Hmmmm ...

Now, I am wondering what is going on. I can hear but I don't seem to be transmitting. It is VERY bumpy. I am staying lower than my USUAL low flying to minimize the headwinds to minimize how long a flight at night. So it is VERY BUMPY. But after some analysis, I find that all this time, I have been transmitting on COM2! I use COM2 to talk to others in my flight and COM1 as my primary "talk" radio. When I had landed with 4 other RVs, I (as a wingman) had selected COM2. The bees distraction got me out of my rhythm (or even checklist .. yes I have one and it was in the plane). THAT explained why they didn't hear me on 28L and why Tampa wasn't hearing me. <<BEES DISTRACTION>

Okay, I have Tampa, the tell me to call JAX, I call JAX, they tell me to call them in about 25 miles (I think). No problem. Finally, on the way. Engine humming along. Not quite as bumpy. Not quite as much headwind. Maybe I will slowly climb a little. Lean a little. Engine humming, until, COUGH(!), COUGH(!), STUDDER(!), STUDDER(!). WHAT!!!!!????? Instructions to passenger (a pilot), look for airports, roads, fields to land if we need it. Look for traffic, I am checking things inside. You OUTSIDE, me INSIDE. All immediately back to humming along. All temps and indicators look completely normal. Hmmm...

There had been a major storm that came through Lakeland n Thursday. This was Friday evening. And, I always TAPE OVER my fuel caps when the plane is left outside and there is ANY chance of rain. I had done this this time as well. And the tape had a good seal when I removed it. BUT(!!), I also typically fill up upon landing if I am going to be at a place for overnight. When I landed at Lakeland (1/2 tanks??) I did not fill up that afternoon but did the next morning. I now assume that I had a small amount of condensation because it was HOT and MOIST when we landed at Lakeland and it got "cold" that night. And, in part due to my bee situation, I FAILED to sump the tanks (two places for each tank even) before departure. <<BEES DISTRACTION>>

The plane ran fine the rest of the flight but I keep a keen eye on everything. I even wandered a bit to make SURE that there was a landing place in sight while I had light. I had told JAX that I was headed direct to KBHC (Baxley) then on the KCUB. Baxley is our usual stop on the way down. REALLY nice people. Really cheap (relatively speaking) 100LL. Convenient, Make it to Baxley with daylight. If all is well, with engine and fuel, proceed to KCUB. If not on either, stop and spend the night in Baxley.

The route from around Gainesville, FL to Baxley, GA takes you over the Okefenokee Swamp. Home of about 430,000+ acres of 2-10ft deep wetlands and 10,000-13,000 ALLIGATORS! Given my situation, I decided to proceed more westerly towards more civilization (using more fuel but adding to comfort level) using an amended route to the Taylor VOR, then Waycross VOR and then Baxley.

Past Baxley, it is getting dark. I DIM the lighting of the multiple EFIS systems twice. The goal had been to purchase a red flashlight (old one missing) before departure. That didn't happen. The backup was phone lighting handled by my passenger, if needed. Well, upon arrival into the Columbia area, the vector me towards what is a "black hole" (two bases with F-16's and a national Swamp/Forest/Park <Congaree>) to de-conflict with a landing airliner. Arrrgggghhh ... I have been monitoring fuel. I want to have at least 10 GALLONS upon arrival, just to be safe (at night). I was burning a little less than 10 GPH. Fortunately, I have a few thousand hours with this plane and EFIS. It has extended runway centerline. I can select buttons and switched in the dark. I was able to fly to the extended centerline, get a frequency change to turn on the runway lights at my non-towered airport and safely land without incident. And with 12+ gallons of 100LL in the tanks.

The moral of this LONG-WINDED story is to show how a last minute distraction can have a COMPOUNDING effect on even those of us who are rather conservative in our flight routines. If I had had far less time in the plane, or had not flown the route MANY times, or was not VERY familiar with the systems (EFIS especially), I would have either not departed or landed soon thereafter.

BEE SAFE OUT THERE!!