What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 10-21 Step 4 Question

md9680

Well Known Member
Friend
Step 4: Rivet the F-01497A and F-01497B Cable Guides to the F-01473-L & -R Aft Fuse Side Skins as shown in Figure 2.

In step 4 as per instructions (I thought!), I blind riveted the Cable Guides to the side skins. In the process, 4 of the 12 AACQ4-4 blind rivets' mandrels broke and left about 1/3" protruding. I thought this unusual but cut the mandrels with a close-to-flush cutting tool and didn't think much about it until they were all riveted. Only after checking the work against the plans did I notice that I forgot to add the washers. This effectively increased the length required for the puller to pull.

Yes, I now need to somehow remove all those AACQ4-4 rivets, but could my missing the washers have contributed to the broken mandrel issue?

Thanks.

Mine did similar but with the washers, but I also wasn’t using the new hardware, which is a longer rivet. I asked support, asked if they were secure, they are, so they said build on.

IMG_4867.jpg

Mine did similar but with the washers, but I also wasn’t using the new hardware, which is a longer rivet. I asked support, asked if they were secure, they are, so they said build on.
View attachment 42608

Thanks for the pic. It turned out to be easier than I thought it would be to drill the rivets out or at least free the parts for reuse after punching out the tails. I'm hoping inclusion of the washers will make for fewer or even no prematurely broken mandrels. My kit is almost 3 years old. Maybe I should ask Van's if the longer rivet will work better?

I had a slightly different problem. My mandrels pulled all the way through the rivet. I left it as was and moved on. Not sure about your issue but it makes sense that the lack of washer might affect.

I ordered some -3 length rivets and had good success. I think the issue is the -4 length are too long - the mandrel is designed to break at a specific place and if the grip is too long this break place ends up outside of the rivet.

You can see the difference here:
https://tasrv14.blogspot.com/2019/09/10-21-26-systems-install-in-aft-fuse.html?m=1

Thank you for your illustrated presentation of the differences between the the -3 and -4 length rivets. It's understandable and I'm now considering -3s for the thinner pieces. If I can just remember to use the washers this time, perhaps there won't be any broken mandrels. Well, one can hope...:rolleyes:

Options

Apart from the missing washers there’s also an option to fit external fainting pieces over the cable exits that you might want to consider before riveting again ?

Apart from the missing washers there’s also an option to fit external fainting pieces over the cable exits that you might want to consider before riveting again ?

Yes. I was kinda wondering why Van's didn't use them. Saw some over at Aircraft Spruce. I presume they would be placed underneath the nylon guides on the inside of the skin?

Back