What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke - Oil Pump Location

CraigC121

I am in process of installing a SSH system in my 6A. Where are the usual locations for mounting the oil pump? I assumed I would mount it on the firewall under the cowl but the diagram suggests on the cabin side of firewall.

I am in process of installing a SSH system in my 6A. Where are the usual locations for mounting the oil pump? I assumed I would mount it on the firewall under the cowl but the diagram suggests on the cabin side of firewall.

On my RV6, with two of the 7.5 gallon tanks, I used the bar to which the flap motor is attached. Center of the plane, vertical.

In the RV8, the (normal) tank is in the forward baggage well and the pump is on the engine side of the firewall.

Plusses and minuses to each.

On my RV-9A with AA-14 kit, the tank fits under the passenger seat and the pump is bolted onto the left side of the cover off the flap tower.

Attachments

• IMG_9574.jpg
    IMG_9574.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Another suggestion. Install your smoke "SWITCH: (not a button) in a place you can easily access without looking. When flying formation you don't have time to look down, nor do you have time to figure out if your button is on or off, where as a switch even Ray Charles can tell if it is on or off.

One of our guys on our team didn't think the button was a big issue until it was show time and 500k people saw the button idea was a bad idea. The button is now in the trash can.

Attachments

• smoke button.jpg
    smoke button.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 78
I thought about mounting mine all over the place. Behind the aft bulkhead, under the seat pan, Sub-panel, etc. In the end, I just mounted it on the floor behind the pax seat. There was plenty of room there and it was not used for anything. Mounted the regulator valve right there as well for adjustments on the fly.
As to the switch...I put a 'smoke master on" guarded switch on the panel then plan to have one of my stick switches set up for toggle on-off.

Good luck!IMG_4593.jpg

Fix,
SSH’s pump-to-tank mounting kit came with a freakin’ strong 2-part epoxy-like or JBWeld-esque adhesive. Pretty straightforward instructions. 400+ hours, 6 Gs, rock solid.

What I did (RV-4)

Lots of options here and some good comments. I installed a smoking airplanes 3.5 gal in my -4, however, all the systems are similar in function. I like the "self contained" set-up with pump on the tank an simple quick disconnects for the electrical and the fluid lines. There are times when I don't need to haul the hardware and the oil around, as well as for maintenance reasons. I have the "flip switch" On/Off/Momentary position mounted in the panel just forward of the throttle quadrant, and a momentary button on the throttle lever. The switch is definitely the way to go when doing a routine long burn, but button is great for a quick mosquito dusting or position puff in the pattern or gaggle join-ups.

Back