What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Typical day at the hangar:-)....

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
I was working on a buddy's RV Super 8, and was adding new screws to a side panel in a hard to get to place. I was horizontal (upside down) under the Instrument Panel (of course) and trying to put a screw in. It was an AN525-832R8. Well, I just couldn't get it started past finger tight. I couldn't get the darn screw driver in to get things going. After 30 seconds, I realized what it might be and took it back out for a close look and BAM !!
The picture will solve the mystery. What are the odds????

Attachments

• Screw Large.jpeg
    Screw Large.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Screw1 Large.jpeg
    Screw1 Large.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 385
I have run across titanium hi loks that were missing the thread. They ain't cheap but I didn't pay for them.

tamper resistant

That is "the new fangled tamper resistant, lock out, don't mess with it after it is in type of fastener ".

Me Too

I’ve seen this a couple of times but I ‘spect I was luckier than you because I wasn’t head down under an instrument panel. I’ve seen a couple of AN bolts that hadn’t had the threads rolled, too. I thought about calling the supplier and asking them to just sent threads along, but never did.

Try an experiment...

I'll bet if you put it back in the bag and shake it, that screw will be the first one out every time.

Reminds me of a business school ethics question - the machine ran for a day without putting the slots in the screws - do you throw them away or throw a few in every box you sell?

Back